• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help... switch/lighter panel... I'm apparently challenged.

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Got in the mail yesterday a three switch panel so I can add fog light switch to my XJ. All switches work but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to install it. The nice person who sent me the panel included all switches and both sockets, but no plugs/wiring. Not faulting him one bit there, I hate when people cut up perfectly good wiring harnesses. Problem is, I got the connectors released from the two switches and the little connector holder that's in the place of the fog light switch on my old panel, but can't for the life of me figure out how to either get the wiring disconnected from the two 12V sockets, or to remove the sockets themselves from the panel. Any help greatly appreciated! Difficulty: I seem to be completely unable to find any time to work on vehicle that doesn't involve flashlights, and I'm very tired and cranky from work, so my patience for little fiddly bits is limited.

OK. I don't feel like such a dumbass now. I finally figured out how to release the wiring connectors and now that I got the old one out and could look at it next to the new one they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The three switch one is out of a '97 and my XJ is a '99. They're even a different shape even though they look superficially the same; the lighter/socket assemblies are completely different, the old one uses .250 fastons and the new one uses a molded 3-pin flotch. I figured out how to get the sockets out of the panels and find that they don't interchange... I could either take an x-acto knife and try to carve the old panel so that the newer sockets will fit in it or give up and buy a '99 panel if I can find one... WTF DAIMLER CHRYSLER I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW you are making a very simple project difficult!

Ack. OK, I feel better. But seriously, what the heck? I guess I'm spoiled, I'm used to working on Studebakers where they used the same parts for 15 years or so, and if something looked like it was the same it probably was.

Edit: there was one on eBay for $25 free shipping. Bought. Anyone need a complete switch panel for a '97?

Last edited:
The outlets weren't serviced; the panels were replaced. Same part numbers for 97, 98, and 99. That being said, the lighter and outlet can both be pressed out of the bezel. Takes a little work, but no hacking is required. This pic might help you figure out where it's hanging up. I think some tabs on both were bent out slightly to engage the bezel.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/DSCF5936.jpg

yup, I figured out how to remove the outlet. The panel that I got that should be from a '97 looks just like the pic you posted but has the fog light switch. The panel that came out of my '99 which I have no reason to believe was ever molested looks like this

http://www.naxja.org/forum/view-sou...==/$(KGrHqJHJDQE9!E6IbwyBPQQ2SY+Hg~~60_12.JPGhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/260961283260

Notice how the one you posted has foam tape at the bottom while the one that looks like my '99 does not, and has a different shape to the bottom. Also, as I said before, the lighter sockets and power outlets use different connectors and are not interchangeable without some knife work. I'll have to take pics this weekend to show the differences. Did the part number change for Y2K? My '99 was built in April '99 and has cast style front rotors and hubs FWIW.

4897 502 is the part number I see for all of the 3 switch bezels, 97-00. What part numbers are your bezels?

I bought mine because it had 3 holes. I swapped the switches, lighter, and outlet to it, and I installed it. I didn't pay attention to anything that didn't interfere with that, and that wasn't visible with the dash reassembled. It will either fit, or it won't.

Both have the number PA66-GF15 molded into the back

the '97 3-switch panel says 56007447 on the left side "ear" on the front

the '99 2-switch panel says 56007448AF in the same location

The '97 lighter and power outlet use .250" fastons for power connection. The '99 looks like the one that I posted above. Neither power outlet will press into the panel that it didn't originally come with. They actually look like they would interchange as assemblies, I just can't swap pieces parts between them, and I really, really hate the idea of hacking my wiring harness with fastons. I know, it's kind of an anal-retentive OCD thing.

Will take pictures later... this is mostly academic at this point as it's worth it to me to just buy the one that will fit and be done with it... but I guess the warning is look at the plugs on the lighter/power outlet on your switch panel if you are looking for a replacement - BEFORE you buy. I'm going to be swimming in extra switches here soon enough (the switches do appear to be identical, but I better make sure *they* plug in before I say that definitively.)

Last edited:
Looking at my post, the numbers didn't look right, but that's what's in both books. Dug out my bezel; sure enough, mine have the same numbers as yours, but not the numbers from the parts book.

Back