• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 install

mrbilly2783

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my d35 on my 90 xj with a d44 with the track lock. Now, I was wondering if you have to replace your driveshaft for this job. my driveshaft to the rear axle wont go back in. its barely too long for the u joint to go back on. any ideas? I have a 242 transfer case. thanks for the help.

The pinion on the D44 is actually longer than a D35 so I'm not surprised.

Do you have a hack and tap on that 242? Or is it stock?

If it's stock, grab a rear driveshaft for an AW4/NP231/8.25 setup. Should work for you.

Ok... Now,tell everyone what your jeep has as far as a lift...

If you did your homework you would of saw that a Dana 44 is an inch longer.
I have 4" of lift and I barely squeeze by without needing a different driveline, idk why but my buddy with a 7" lift has to do a sye, cause his is shoved in so deep.

If you haven't lifted it yet, lift it first, you might not need a shorter shaft. The reason people do sye's or transfer case drops is because the shaft comes out too far and needs to be pushed in. I'd try that first if it was me

I might not of understood the post though, you have a 4.5" lift but the "rc" is stock.

On my 89 with a 3" RC lift I had to cut an inch off the Slip Yoke with a pipe cutter to make it fit.

Back