• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper and lower control arm bolt setup

shad0vvfax

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to upgrade my lower control arms and went with some tubular ones from ebay for 99$. The thing is I noticed my uppers do not look so healthy and want to replace them as well. Now my problem is I do not know what hardware to use to replace these with because the stock hardware almost always breaks on me no matter how hard I try otherwise. Can someone tell me the proper replacement size for all four bolts(uppers and lowers). I noticed cam bolts on the uppers I think, but I keep seeing it is usually the lowers that have them. Can someone help me with this. Cam bolts(yes or no), replacement bolts(exact size <m?>x<?>x<?>).

The cam bolts are to adjust caster I believe on the stock upper control arm. If you're going to upgrade the upper control arm, get an adjustable one, then you just use regular bolts - to cinch everything up. I'm not sure what sizes though.

5-90's web page I believe has all this info on it, if you haven't found it already.

The cam bolts are to adjust caster I believe on the stock upper control arm. If you're going to upgrade the upper control arm, get an adjustable one, then you just use regular bolts - to cinch everything up. I'm not sure what sizes though.

Cam bolts do not exist on the XJ. Caster is adjusted by adding shims behind a plate in the lower control arm pocket. Toe is adjusted with the tie rod and drag link. Camber cannot be adjusted, unless you want to mess with offset ball joints.

All control arm bolts are normal bolts.

The uppers are M10x1.5x75mm long IIRC. Might be 1.25 thread pitch but if you get new bolts you'll get new nuts I assume. So long as they match.

Back