• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amp draw of oem fan?

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone knoe the amp draw of a oem 97+ elec fan, im hooking mine up to a toggle switch to have complete control over it and gonna have a inline fuse, was thinking 15 amp

I believe the factory fuse rating is 30a. But I could be completly wrong. It is located in the underhood fuse box if you would like to look though.

Thing is, there is a huge inrush current and the factry does not use "slo-blo" fuses so the fuse must be sized to accept the instantaneous current. So, the 40A fuse.

There are threads that show how to wire in manual control over the factory relay. Not a difficult task as tasks go. Cleaner installation also.

Amp draw on the 97+ fans is 16-17 amps running.

You'll want to put a relay in, and not just wire it through the switch.

I just did the same thing on my 95 and used the same size fuse that was in the factory PDC in my aux block. Can't recall the size atm... I've used the fan a handful of times and haven't had an issue yet.

Relay ... keeps it safe

I put a 97 aux fan in my 93. It's supposed to have a 40 amp fuse, but the biggest one I could fit in the fuse block was a 30 amp due to the physical size of the fuse slot. I've had no problems for the last 8 months even in the hot weather with the AC running.

You just tryin to add control to the existing? I ran a switch to the fan relay. 14 gauge hot wire from Fuse Block : Accessory->Switch->hot on relay. When I flip the switch it kicks on the relay & fan comes on. Aside from the minor bit of wire I ran, rest is stock. Fan still comes on by itself if required & I don't have the switch on already. This is on my '87

Back