• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird electrical issue after overhead console install

tom11919

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing my spiffy new overhead console and found that when I pulled up on the right side of the dash, the overhead console dome lights would turn off and all the dash and center console illumination lights, the radio, and the rear window defroster would turn on but only as long I held pressure up on the dash. The key was off and the passenger door was open. It seemed to be dependent on whether or not the dash was making a connection with the body. However, everything seems to be normal now that I've tightened down the 13mm bolt on the bottom right side of the dash. The display on the overhead console works, the interior lights work, radio, defroster, etc all work like they're supposed to. Is this something I should be concerned about? What might cause that? Anybody have a good wiring diagram for a '97 XJ?

Well, yeah, everything seems to be working right, but I don't think the dash being loose should necessarily cause current to feed to circuits that would otherwise be off. Does anybody know if the metal part of the dash on 97+ xjs is used as a ground bus? Could I have pinched a wire or something and been backfeeding current through the dash? Now I'm just curious more than anything else.

Well, yeah, everything seems to be working right, but I don't think the dash being loose should necessarily cause current to feed to circuits that would otherwise be off. Does anybody know if the metal part of the dash on 97+ xjs is used as a ground bus? Could I have pinched a wire or something and been backfeeding current through the dash? Now I'm just curious more than anything else.

I don't remember if I posted this here or somewhere else but when I pulled my dash to replace my evaporator/heater core I left the bolts securing the dash finger tight. I did that thinking that I wanted to make sure that everything worked before I reinstalled my interior. Having weird gauge and center console problems I spent a day troubleshooting harnesses and pouring over wiring diagrams; I even replaced my ignition switch.

With my interior essentially an empty box I sat there staring at my center console light, it was lit, but very dim (it shouldn't even been on). Then I had an epiphany, I remembered prior experiences where with a bad or no grounds current can feed back into other circuits. Then I wondered if the whole mess was grounded to the body through the dash to body bolts. Just touching one of the bolt shut the dimly lit bulb off...tightening the bolts solved ALL of the issues.

Bottom line: I don't think you did anything wrong...relax and enjoy.

Bottom line: I don't think you did anything wrong...relax and enjoy.

Thanks for the reassurance. It seems like after I do anything to any of my rigs I go for a couple of days being vaguely paranoid that whatever I worked on will suddenly quit working, fall off, catch on fire, and/or explode. I guess the weird power thing just touched a nerve.

Back