• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans still good or bad

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
My trans died on me the other day and I cant figure out why. It never slipped once, it just kept jumping in and out of gear like it couldnt decide where it was supposed to be. then it just up and died, it was jerking real hard and changing gear iraticly then it just lost all the gears including reverse. but it never made a grinding noise it was like it was in neutral. i looked under there and noticed that I had lost at least 2 of the bell housing bolts holding it to the block but I dont think that would cause all of this. Could anyone shed some light on this for me, is my trans still good or is it completely gone.

thanks travis

My trans died on me the other day and I cant figure out why. It never slipped once, it just kept jumping in and out of gear like it couldnt decide where it was supposed to be. then it just up and died, it was jerking real hard and changing gear iraticly then it just lost all the gears including reverse. but it never made a grinding noise it was like it was in neutral. i looked under there and noticed that I had lost at least 2 of the bell housing bolts holding it to the block but I dont think that would cause all of this. Could anyone shed some light on this for me, is my trans still good or is it completely gone.

thanks travis

Oh hell no, you don't need all the bolts holding your tranny in. What were those engineers thinking?

No way to answer that question. Too little data. You are going to need to get under there and physically inspect everything. Check the four flex plate bolts, see if they came loose. Check for a cracked flex plate. Find out what happened to the mounting bolts on the bell housing, ALL of them.

At some point you will need to get into testing the solenoids ( assuming this an AW4 automatic?) for ohms, to see if any are bad. Check for a blown TCU fuse, check the transmission fluid level...... for starters.

sorry was in a hurry didnt get to fill in the rest. Its a 90 with a 4.0 and an aw4 auto. I checked the fluid its brand new because i just changed it, and I looked its at the proper level. I know the bolt holes are stripped out because I tried to replace the bolts that fell out. It was the 2 bottom bolts that go through the engine block. So thats where im at with it Im gonna go out in the morning and fix the bolts. sorry I didnt give you all the info I had last time because I had to run out.

TPS Sensor going out can make some of those symptoms.
I had just rebuilt my trans, then all the sudden a week later it was slipping all over the place, undrivable. I took it back to the tranny shop they plugged it in all was fine. Did a lil digging on naxja, replaced my TPS sensor. All was well in the world.

But I never lost forward and reverse, just couldn't hold a gear

Back