• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross shaft issues ...

So my lock-right has a hardend cross shaft and the hole in it for the roll pin is smaller than the hole in my Carrier.So could I get away with drilling it out with a good bit and plent of oil and going slow or should I get another cross shaft with the right size hole ? The fact that the carrier has a 1/4" roll pin and the new cross shaft doesn't is wierd and we used the stock shaft and after 5 years it has flat spots on it and allowes the unit to have exsessive slop and Im not liking my open gears all that much.Any advise would be much appreciated
Thanx :greensmok

So my lock-right has a hardend cross shaft and the hole in it for the roll pin is smaller than the hole in my Carrier.So could I get away with drilling it out with a good bit and plent of oil and going slow or should I get another cross shaft with the right size hole ? The fact that the carrier has a 1/4" roll pin and the new cross shaft doesn't is wierd and we used the stock shaft and after 5 years it has flat spots on it and allowes the unit to have exsessive slop and Im not liking my open gears all that much.Any advise would be much appreciated
Thanx :greensmok

I don't think you can drill that cross shaft with any common drill bit even cobalt.

When I had my turdy rebuilt and geared. I had the gear guru install a Spartan while he was at it. It was the same way, he don't let them go out the door like that. He re-drilled and tapped the case so he could install a C8.25 screw in pin. The pin will not fit into the cross shaft hole. So he chucked it up in his lathe and sanded it down just a little bit. Used lock tite and screwed it in. Some threads still show but it is bottomed out in the cross shaft.

I don't think you can drill that cross shaft with any common drill bit even cobalt.

When I had my turdy rebuilt and geared. I had the gear guru install a Spartan while he was at it. It was the same way, he don't let them go out the door like that. He re-drilled and tapped the case so he could install a C8.25 screw in pin. The pin will not fit into the cross shaft hole. So he chucked it up in his lathe and sanded it down just a little bit. Used lock tite and screwed it in. Some threads still show but it is bottomed out in the cross shaft.

That's the right way to do it. Ditch the roll Pin and have a screw style pin installed

Nope just a Redneck Islander and our Local Guru is off to Mexico:bawl:So I have to wait a month to see what he says .And whats wrong with a roll pin ?

roll pins tend to be a weak link.. they can work themselves loose and wreak havoc.. a screw, with some blue loctite, is a pretty proven upgrade:patriot:

Ok well that maeks sence also our local Napa only has the type with threads on it so I picked up 2 roll pins from ACE they are hardend and fit nic and tight but the stock cross shaft has flat spots were the lock right has been moving and I dont quite feel good about driving it that way .Although it all fits tight and there is no slop I even tried to be hard on it and it feel great minus open action :(

Well thanx and when I get in touch with my friends Boss man Ill report back that its fixed

Back