• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner or exocage designs

Jes, SeanR, GaryE (though he doesn't know it yet) and I are working on a prototype combonation interior/exterior cage. The stanchions will be internal, and the halo and roof rack will carry the torsional and lateral loading of the suspension.

I'll have pics in the next couple of weeks, and I think people will find it to be a nice solution to chassis stiffness and also provide an extra measure of safety.

I will say right off that the cage is not for sale, and the design borrows from others on this board, notably Goatmans roofrack/A-pillar protection. The design, pics and specs will be posted free of charge for all too see and critique, including a materials list.

I will also tell you that extra safety is a secondary concern of mine. I havenever felt unsafe in my XJ, and I am grown up enough to admit that if I roll her over, the vehicle is a write-off. This cage is designed to be, foremost, a chassis stiffener. Secondarily, it should provide extra protection to the occupants.

Sorry for the tease......pix are a few weeks away.

CRASH

I guess I've started my cage/roof rack project a bit too soon!! It would have been great to compare notes with you guys, see some of your ideas. But I'm only half way through the cage portion, maybe I'll just have to stall for a while :)

Back