• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling a camper?

davidson99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I can't decide whether or not to pull our camper to WF......its a 10' or 12' pop up. I have a 99 with a 35 rear and stock 3.55s. Never tried it before. What would you guys suggest?

you will be fine.....just take a few more feet to stop and use common sense. There are a lot of people that have pulled pop ups to WF.

33s with stock gears will not be fun towing anything, nor are they good for the health of a D35, but if you take it easy you can do it.

I towed this Aerolite all over the country, wheeled Moab and some of the Rubicon, on a D35 with 4.10 gears and a freshly rebuilt limited slip, on 31s.

I have a couple D35 shafts in the garage, want them?

Are you running open diffs or at least open in the D35? That could certainly help out your cause.

That pop-up shouldn't be more than about 3,000 lbs. Those 33" tires are probably your biggest problem.

The biggest thing that I'd suggest, especially with the 33" tires, is an electric brake controller and making sure the trailer brakes work. XJ brakes are marginal to begin with, big tires don't help, and they certainly aren't up to trailers of any weight.

Ok so I can't decide whether or not to pull our camper to WF......its a 10' or 12' pop up. I have a 99 with a 35 rear and stock 3.55s. Never tried it before. What would you guys suggest?

I pulled one last year, hold on to your ass through Indy. That thing was bouncy. Other than that it pulled just fine. Just forget about using overdrive.

One other thing..... you've probably got an automatic transmission. Like FlexdXJ said, forget overdrive. And make sure you've got a transmission cooler.

33s with stock gears will not be fun towing anything, nor are they good for the health of a D35, but if you take it easy you can do it.

I towed this Aerolite all over the country, wheeled Moab and some of the Rubicon, on a D35 with 4.10 gears and a freshly rebuilt limited slip, on 31s.

I have a couple D35 shafts in the garage, want them?

Yes please

That pop-up shouldn't be more than about 3,000 lbs. Those 33" tires are probably your biggest problem.

The biggest thing that I'd suggest, especially with the 33" tires, is an electric brake controller and making sure the trailer brakes work. XJ brakes are marginal to begin with, big tires don't help, and they certainly aren't up to trailers of any weight.

99% of popups don't have brakes.

If you do it, take it slow, plan your stops and leave it in 3rd. It will sound odd and you will want to shift, but don't.

99% of popups don't have brakes.

I disagree. I know several people with popups and they all have brakes. If it weighs over 2k it should have them...

mac 'now whether they work or not' gyvr

More than a few states, IL included, require that any trailer over 2,000 lbs. have brakes. My 2001 Coleman Santa Fe has electric brakes from the factory.

And for the record, I hate surge brakes.

Looks good to me. Pulls good. Hopefully I don't break anything at Badlands
IMAG0181.jpg

Dude, the MWC always gets their peeps home.

look at it this way, If you do break something at the event, at least you will be comfy while you take the time to fix it LOL

Back