• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pinion 44 swap steering problems

captaincrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Ok folks im turning my 87 xj into a rock crawler i installed a ford 9 in. rear with lincoln locker and ford hp 44 front with about 4.5 in. of lift and 36s ive got my steering hooked up and at full steer i still have about 2 in. between the axle and the stop so in other words it wont steer worth a crap just wondering if any one knows how to get more steering out of it without goin to full hydraulic

you need a pitman arm with more throw to it to match the added length of the 44 knuckles. a wagoneer drop pitman arm will cure your issue

I've got a drop pitman arm on it that came off of a yj not sure if the waggy arm is any different the steering bars are made up of the stock tie rod bar from the 44 and a bar I made from one of the stock cherokee bars that I lengthened i plan to go to a crossover style set up with heims to maybe take some slack out of the tie rod ends

drop isnt the problem... its the length of the center of the mount for the steering arm, to the center of the mount for the TRE. with no relation to how much it drops. im probably not communicating well...

think about it this way... a 10" arm is going to turn your knuckle more than a 2" arm as it travels 180 degrees in a radius around the steering box. the lengths i gave are hypothetical of course.

Back