• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Actual experience with rough country long arms...

htrddzl

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody own them or had experience with them? Been thinking about pulling the trigger for the mj. I know it takes some mods but nothing major. All the reviews I have seen is instant trash talk.... But then admit they don't own the kit or know anyone with it?

I run them with 5.5" of lift on my 99. What specifically would you like to know? I got tons of flex, no noises, no rod-end problems, install was easy enough, the 2.2 RC shocks were decent at first but I don't think they can handle the flex so I'm in the process of swapping them out for some nice shocks and bumpstopping appropriately.

I honestly haven't had a single problem with mine, I'm not hardcore rock climbing or anything but I definitely kick its ass and haven't had any real problems. Well actually i did strip the one bolt while install it through one of the rod-ends but just replaced it, and also in the rear my 2.2 shocks ate their bushings so I installed Bar Pin Eliminators from JKS and problem solved there.

I didn't get their full kit, just the 2.2 shocks and the long-arms

Just overall quality and performance..... Sounds like you have great luck with them. I currently run short arms with rocky road drops. Handle and drives great with good flex but just itching for long arms looks like the best bang for the buck! I also have 5150's front and rear and are happy with them will be keeping same springs as well. Just looking to upgrade arms...

Just overall quality and performance..... Sounds like you have great luck with them. I currently run short arms with rocky road drops. Handle and drives great with good flex but just itching for long arms looks like the best bang for the buck! I also have 5150's front and rear and are happy with them will be keeping same springs as well. Just looking to upgrade arms...

Yea whenever I mention that my front is RC i get "those looks" from some people, but I honestly haven't had an issue with their longarms. I've had them for at least a year I think (i want to sa 1.5 yrs but i honestly have no clue lol). I think they've actually released a better rod-end since I bought my kit so they're probably a little better. Install went easily, hardest part was cutting off the stock control arm brackets. I don't have any rattles/clunks (at least not from the arms haha), it rides smooth and handles well on-road (both sway bars removed), off-road it's pretty smooth. If I got another XJ I wouldn't hesitate to throw the same longarms on.

The ride on-road is pretty good up front as well (if my rear leafs weren't basically flat and my shackle angle wasn't 90 degrees, but they're some random pack made by the Previous Owner, not RC product).

Here's a video of my truck that you can see how much the front flexes (yes I know I need lockers, and it's basically a "test run" type obstacle) Truck is 5.5" lift with 32x11.5s....as you can hear in the video the fenders need to be cut.

3dcd9402.jpg

Yeah flex is good with current setup those are 37's... Just sick of the hang up points! I want the long arms for a smother transition over hang up obstacles.

3dcd9402.jpg

Yeah flex is good with current setup those are 37's... Just sick of the hang up points! I want the long arms for a smother transition over hang up obstacles.

Ok yea now I can understand what you're looking for since you clearly have some flex (awesome looking truck, BTW)

Yea I haven't had any real problems, build quality to me seemed good, the paint they come with flaked off in spots I'd say ~6 months or so, but as far as rod-end flex quality i've had no problems. The bars seem well positioned for sliding over stuff. My first "real" rock climbing will be next month at Rausch Creek in PA, so can't give you experience in the rocks yet. I also have never owned any other longarm kits so I guess you should take that into account.

So far though, i definitely have no complaints/concerns with their longarms after at least 1yr of running them and I check them out everytime i put the truck on the lift, don't see anything out of the ordinary going on.

Ill let others chime in now don't want to take over your topic

Well thanks for your input. Good to hear from someone that actually owns the product. I want to hear all opinions good or bad... So no worries on giving your input. It's what I asked for.

RC's customer service is pretty top notch as well. I'm not experienced in the parts you speak of specifically, but a buddy at work had a shop install his lift ( I tried to tell him we could do it) on his WJ and the shop jacked up the bushings in his control arms. RC replaced them.

I bought my 4.5 X series with SYE and TW driveshaft because of the rep they have for cust service.

I found after reading the how to on there install list, i went a little tighter on the joints, now after HARD use they are a little loose. We removed the lift to install it in his other jeep and we'll tighten them up just a little and he is good to go.Watch the leaf spring bushing, his are a little worn already but they sent him new ones.

I am very happy with this kit and would run it on my jeep or the wifes jeep if i was going to run long arms on them.

i have the rc long arm upgrade and i'm happy with it for the price. I did however upgrade all the joints to Currie Johnny Joints. I think there is a long thread on here somewhere that goes into detail onthe weaknesses of the RC joints as shipped. I'm not sure if they have updated those joints since then.

Note that RC has very good customer service too.

For the same price, you might check out Serious Offroad's Long Arm setup. I love mine and so do many others! (Edit: if you become a red letter member you'll get a big discount, putting you at almost the same price).

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/

Any pictures of your rig from the side? I was also looking at the serious kit... But was worried about clearance because with the straight lowers. I also do like that they use the teraflex joints makes rebuilds nice. Anyone know if the crossmember works on the Comanche? With the cab supports on the unibody, I am not sure on fitment.

Not sure about the Comanche stuff, but (forgot his name...really bad with names!) from Serious was really helpful on the phone, you can always give him a call.

I didn't have any updated pictures so here's a few i snapped real quick:
P2252349.jpg

P2252348.jpg

do yourself a favor and spend the small amount extra and buy a Serious Offroad longarm. the frustration you will save with the flex joints is worth the couple extra bucks

do yourself a favor and spend the small amount extra and buy a Serious Offroad longarm. the frustration you will save with the flex joints is worth the couple extra bucks

Im pretty satisfied with my Serious arms performance, i had some small install issues that me and Frank worked out, but ive had bad luck with the Teraflex flex joints, ive rebuilt the drivers side once, and its starting to clunk again. A fellow wheeler has Teraflex arms in his JK and hes rebuilt his joints a few times. Im gonna likely upgrade to johnys before i head out to Moab in the fall and just keep the Tera's as spares.

Here's a video of my truck that you can see how much the front flexes (yes I know I need lockers, and it's basically a "test run" type obstacle) Truck is 5.5" lift with 32x11.5s....as you can hear in the video the fenders need to be cut.

This video makes me wanna stay with my short arms... What's restricting your droop?

Probably shocks or steering, what he needs is lockers in that situation

Yup nail-on-the-head.

The 2.2 shocks that I mentioned as being too short for the flex need to go (and are in the process of being swapped for some nice remote reservoir shocks, just gotta do the measuring)

Then my trackbar, on the axle end, is hitting the top of the mount, i could move it over 3/4" and be good but im going to cut off the mount and weld in a new one

Lockers are needed, thinking of going ARB front and Spartan in the rear. Gears are still at 3.55 so they're going as well

All of that is coming this spring/summer as I've finished the rest of the stuff I had to do. After the shocks and trackbar I'll double check the steering to make sure it's not holding up the flex, if it is I'll address it then too.

edit: oh and i need to cut my fenders, my tires have done some of their own clearancing so far

Yup nail-on-the-head.

The 2.2 shocks that I mentioned as being too short for the flex need to go (and are in the process of being swapped for some nice remote reservoir shocks, just gotta do the measuring)

Then my trackbar, on the axle end, is hitting the top of the mount, i could move it over 3/4" and be good but im going to cut off the mount and weld in a new one

Lockers are needed, thinking of going ARB front and Spartan in the rear. Gears are still at 3.55 so they're going as well

All of that is coming this spring/summer as I've finished the rest of the stuff I had to do. After the shocks and trackbar I'll double check the steering to make sure it's not holding up the flex, if it is I'll address it then too.

I wouldn't drill any holes for the track bar, get the iron rock Offroad double sheer track bar, it allows ALOT of flex. Depending on lift height I'd consider some bilstein 7100 short bodied shocks.

why would anyone want this type of rock anchor escapes me.
just buy the t&t long arms for a smooth belly with built in belly pan & t-case protection.

Back