• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easy stroker motor

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
I have used the search and found allot of stroker info. It sounds like allot of little things that can go wrong. What is the easiest stroker recipe for a simple built. I need a reliable parts list. Has anyone built one with no hassle and what was your build list? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

A lot of people's failures are cam related, make sure you do a proper break in with proper oil, use correct valve spring pressure for the cam you will run, or if you want to avoid it all, keep your stock cam. Most simple thing you can do is throw a 4.2 crank in with new bearings

If this can get moved to the street and performance section where it belongs, I think you would get more help. Tayln, gradon, and Dr. Dyno know this stuff pretty well. Also, jeepstrokers.com is a great site. Just remember, no matter what forum you use, always figure out how to search first. No one like's hearing the same question over and over. Ex.... "how much lift do I need to fit XX size tires?"

Also, getting to your question again, a reliable parts list is easy to come up with, but we need to know a few things first.
1) How advanced do you want to get in this. ( you answered that, you want simple)
2) How much of the engine work can YOU do yourself?
3) Why do you want a stroker? (ex..does your engine need a rebuild?)
4) How much are you willing to spend?

Here is a link to Dino's site.

Like I said earlier, the simplest you can do is get a 4.2L crank and swap it in with new bearings.

A lot of people's failures are cam related, make sure you do a proper break in with proper oil, use correct valve spring pressure for the cam you will run, or if you want to avoid it all, keep your stock cam. Most simple thing you can do is throw a 4.2 crank in with new bearings

What you propose will not work. You have to change the length of the rods or you will have pistons hitting the head. I built my first 4.7L Jeep stroker 12 years ago and it is still running hard with well over 100k miles on it.

At minimum you will need a 258 crank, 258 rods, new 4.0L pistons and a bore/hone. Some try to get away with using stock sized pistons in an old bore. I wouldn't recommend that for a high mileage engine. Its also an iffy proposition to push your old pistons off the 4.0L rods to put on the 4.2L rods w/o breaking a piston. You can check your cam and lifters for wear and reuse if good. Remember to keep the lifters exactly which bore they cam from. An egg carton is great for that. You will probably also want a new oil pump and timing set. A 3 angle valve would be good too.

What you propose will not work. You have to change the length of the rods or you will have pistons hitting the head. I built my first 4.7L Jeep stroker 12 years ago and it is still running hard with well over 100k miles on it.
Huh, I didnt know that. My bad for giving bad advice. I didnt think it was a good idea to begin with, but now I know it was a terrible idea!

Back