• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstopping Confusion

TheCodeMonk

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I've searched and tried to figure out how to figure out the proper bumpstop and shock length for my future plans (which are the BW flat flares, 33x12.5, on full-traction's 3.5" long arm).

However, because I don't have all the money for all of it right away (and I just found out one of my front shocks is cracked >.<), I am looking at shocks and bumpstops to get me started before I move onto the rest.

The Jeep is sitting on a 2" lift currently (not sure what brand...came that way when I purchased it) and on 235/75r15 tires.

So I did some digging and called up FT to see what they use on their 3.5" lift and they said they recommended the Bilstein 5100s.

STOCK: (googled to get these approximate numbers)
Front
Collapsed- 13.0"
Extended- 21.25"
Travel- 8.1"

Rear
Collapsed- 13.4"
Extended- 21.5"
Travel- 8.1"

These look to be the ones designed for the 3.5" lifts...

Front - Bilstein 5100 (http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-188197/1373666)
*Collapsed Length (IN): 14.98
*Extended Length (IN): 24.61

Rear - Bilstein 5100 (http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/33-066868/1373666)
*Collapsed Length (IN): 14.88
*Extended Length (IN): 23.84

...so all that background for my questions:

Does the difference in collapsed lengths mean I need 2 inch bumpstops to prevent the shocks from bottoming out?

Will I need longer bumpstops for the bigger tires? (as soon as I can afford the flat flares and the tires)

If I do need longer, would the extra length be the difference in tire size or is there more that I will need to account for?

Last edited:
most people are going to tell you to put whatever setup you have, flex it out then bumpstop accordingly.

I have 35s with the bushwacker flat flares and the RC Long Arms on about...6.0" lift springs, that netting me about 5.0". On my fronts I have the 2.5" RE bump stop extender and 2 or 3 hockey pucks. The rear I took a square piece of tube and welded it to the spring perch which added about 4.5 of bumpstop out back.

That's what I read as responses elsewhere...the problem I have is, I don't have the setup done yet (lift and tires are still to come). I'm just trying to plan ahead and try not purchase things twice if I can avoid it. :p

If you use hockey pucks you are looking at an inconsequential expense and easy installation. If it turns you bought too many you'll be out less than five bux.

If you use hockey pucks you are looking at an inconsequential expense and easy installation. If it turns you bought too many you'll be out less than five bux.

your never "out" money when you buy hockey pucks... you've invested that money in future fun. now just go invest in a hockey stick and let the good times roll.

as for bumstops, it really is something you need to do after your suspension is set up. unless they are adjustable.

install the lift, flex it out, find out where your shocks max out (compression and extension) that way you can get bumpstops, and install them BEFORE your shocks compress all the way... and get limit straps down the road if $$ permits.

Back