• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DRIVE SHAFT UPGRADE

bayhunter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99XJ w/ 2" lift and an SYE. Would a 93 ZJ 5.2 v8 front shaft be an upgrade to run in the rear w/ my 8.25 chry.?Will it work? Currently running front 98 XJ shaft in rear.

I believe the ZJ front shaft is a smaller diameter tubing then the XJ front shaft you currently have. Seems like a little bit of a downgrade, everything else is basically the same between the two.

I believe the ZJ front shaft is a smaller diameter tubing then the XJ front shaft you currently have. Seems like a little bit of a downgrade, everything else is basically the same between the two.

I ran a VJ ZJ shaft for my rear shaft for a period of time. I had the drive shafts side by side and the v8 zj shaft is quite beefier. I actually want to have my drive shaft shortened since I have a custom rear shaft now and run the ZJ shaft in the front instead of the stocker.

im going to assume you want it in the rear for a SYE application.

depending on what ZJ you get it off of, it will have a double cardan, or a CV joint. you dont want CV.

most ZJ shafts are longer than one would need for depending on the motor/trans/Tcase combo of course. i have the AX15 in my XJ, which is shorter than the AW4, a stock cherokee front shaft still worked for my SYE applicaiton.

IIRC someone said that the Durango front driveshaft is an upgrade.

I have a SYE with a turdy5 and a ZJ shaft. ZJ shaft is longer than an XJ's by ~2". 8.25 pinion sticks out a little more than an inch further than that of a turdy. The slip on my shaft os less than an inch; I wouldn't feel comfortable running anything that would have less distance.

Did you measure the distance between the case yoke and pinion yoke? IIRC, the XJ front shaft is ~31" and the ZJ's is ~33"

edit: Important to know what tranny you have also (as VAhasnoWAVES has mentioned.) I have an AW4

I have a SYE with a turdy5 and a ZJ shaft. ZJ shaft is longer than an XJ's by ~2". 8.25 pinion sticks out a little more than an inch further than that of a turdy. The slip on my shaft os less than an inch; I wouldn't feel comfortable running anything that would have less distance.

Did you measure the distance between the case yoke and pinion yoke? IIRC, the XJ front shaft is ~31" and the ZJ's is ~33"

edit: Important to know what tranny you have also (as VAhasnoWAVES has mentioned.) I have an AW4
your numbers are pretty close.

i use this guy:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

a little hard to read, but once you figure it out, you should be able to find something that will fit inthe Ujoint size you need. physically finding it in a JY may be another story. key is to measure once its in, your only going to get approximate values until everything is in place.

zj fronts are 1.75" diameter tube (not sure what wall thickness though). Not the best for a rear application but might get ya by. They do have 1 3/8" splines though vs xj fronts witch have 1 1/4" splines and 2x.120" tube. Finding one that fits length wise will be up to you and your tape measure. U-Joint size is the same though (1310).

Back