• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypo run/Elk lake 3/3-3/4

chero-car

NAXJA Forum User
Some of us talked about it at TORXfest so I thought I would go ahead and post it up.

Elk lake is 11 miles above the town of detroit, for those who dont know. Its about 7 miles from breitenbush RD. On 1/30 myself and crazymoose couldnt make it to the lake before having to turn around due to no more day light. The snow got up to about 3 1/2 feet before we called it quits.

So, the plan is to make it to the lake while there is still a decent amount of snow still there. This is a feeler to see if we can get enough rigs together to make it worth going. Were thiniking minimum 33s, atleast one locker, winch and gear to make it through the night.

Any takers?

I will be a maybe, I dont think I want to take the chance of falling down on a shoulder I just had an operation on.

I would but I have a class I have to be at that day. My weekends are full from now until we get back from Moab. Sorry guy's I love snow wheeling and am alway's up for an overnight run those are a blast but just can't make this one.

It's on, so Jeremy and five other anonymous rigs will be heading east from Salem Saturday monring to camp at Elk Lake. I will be following them up later in the day on Saturday afternoon to camp.

Dang...I heard its pretty cool up there, was going to try to make it this summer....but I'm just not built for it for the winter. Open/Open - No Winch - 31's... Sorry guys.
Maybe next time,

Well we went from the FS53 to the FS42 this weekend with another group I belong to and there was plenty of powder. At some points I had snow up to the top of my hood. Good conditions though I don't know what the weather is going to do this weekend though. Its suppossed to get warmer and still raining so the conditions could get really bad really fast.

Here are some shots from this weekend.

misc2-27-2012089.jpg

8dddd236.jpg

9b3fae88.jpg

If your interested here is the link for my trip report.

http://pistonswildforum.proboards.c...entwriteups&action=display&thread=1783&page=3

A chicken out pssssshhhh we dont chicken out hombre. :) We may not make it past the parking lot with all the snow but we will give it a shot, we are leaving bread crumb's in case we get lost. Say that again I will make sure no one vote's for you Chad. :)

Last edited:
Talked to a buddie today he said he had to rescue a Cherokee with a broken axel shaft. He told me there was 3' of snow at 4,000 feet. He said the snow consistancy was powder.

Marion Forks at 2500 feet has 45"
Peavine Ridge at 3400 feet has 46"
Little Meadows at 4020 feet has 76" Also added 23" from midnight on the 27-28 to midnight on 29-30
Five bucks says you won't make it to the turn off between the lookout and the lake.

Back