• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DRB Scan Tool Question

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ Limited 2wd
AW4
8.25"
Completely stock

I would like to add factory keyless entry to my Jeep. I understand you must have a DRB II scan tool in order to flash the remotes to my rig. I am looking at remotes on ebay that are 2 button for my year. My understanding is the 3 button (3rd button is panic) is for the GC. I checked with the dealer and they want $55 to program the remotes. My XJ came with keyless from the factory as its on the window sticker and I have the overhead console which I believe houses the receiving unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is this....

I am currently an automotive student at my local community college and the shop there has a DRB III scan tool. They have no idea if it is backwards compatible, and they said they have never used it to flash keyless entry remotes. Will it work? Does someone have any instructions or info on how to use the DRB?

Thanks in advance!

I have used a DRBIII for older OBD2 Chryco vehicles. Should work fine. Would be dumb if it didn't since the III replaced the II

Is it fairly self explanatory on the use of the DRB? I've used a scan tool in the past for pulling OBD II trouble codes and clearing the computer, but that's about it.

I know others have been able to score better deals. The Jeep dealership in my area however says that is the set rate for this. I tried to talk them down, but it was a no go. Plus, I'd rather do it myself since I have free access to a DRB III. I could still use some insight as to their operation.

The factory key-less DRB-III programming instructions are in the Factory Service Manual.

Back