• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sea-foam

bonesxj

NAXJA Forum User
Never heard of this stuff. The people at the autoparts store said it is the best. You can put it in your gas tank or your crank case and it cleans everything. Does this stuff work or is it just snake-oil.

I put about 6-8 oz of it in my oil on a cold motor, then let it run for 10 min without driving right before oil changes. The first time I did this I had a couple noticable pieces of sludge fall out of the pan when I drained it down. No leaks caused from doing it, but I also had a new pan gasket, rear main, and oil filter adapter o-ring about 25k ago. I also put a whole bottle of it in my gas at the same time as my oil changes...

When I first started driving this XJ ('95 4.0/ax15/3.55 gears) when it still had 3.07's and stock size tires I was getting about 19-21mpg highway going from Denver to Indianapolis and back. After the lift and 31's that dipped to about 16-18mpg... 3.55's and it went back up to 17-19mpg.

After beginning this treatment I have noticed that I am consistantly getting 21-22mpg hwy and 18.5-19.5 on your average tank of gas around town on combined city/hwy driving! ...and that is with 31's!

I say it works!

Its ok, but I wouldn't say its the best. I have only really used it in my intake, and done it multiple times on multiple jeeps. I have only really had a substantial amount of smoke come out once, and haven't noticed any change in performance/mpgs.

you will get the same results from running a good HM motor oil and MMO in your fuel 4oz/10gal.
Sea-foam is VERY harsh on your engine and all sensors and spark plugs, I would never shock the shit out of my 100k motor with this...... I would do the less invasive version that is a slow cleanse with built in protection ( HM oil and MMO)........
Why would you add something to your motor oil that lowers the cSt of your to negative numbers at any temp !
even to run it for 10 min you dropped your below it's shear rate in with the first complete cycle of your oil, so the other 9min are running your engine with sand in it !!

After you run your HM oil for 2 OCI"s or so... than go to a good HDEO that is cross rated CI-4

I meant MMO in the gas 4oz per 10gal,
thers nothing in MMO that does not not dilute (or disolve) your oil add pak The boron and Phos. are anti wear additives but with no viscosity.

MMO consists of....
(Copied from another forum that I frequent)

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)

Serves mostly as base oil.

29% Mineral Spirits

General cleaner and solvent.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron

Mild AW/EP agent, friction reducer

900 ppm Phosphorous

AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene

A very good cleaner/solvent for varnish.

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent

Oil of Wintergreen is in there solely for the SCENT to mask solvent smell. Not enough in there to aid lubricity.

Red Dye -

Alot of guys myself included have been running MMO 4:10 for a long time with an obvious MPG improvment.....\
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/jeepers-how-im-adding-2-5-mpg-maybe-you-can-too-1245601/

Last edited:
Seafoam works great, so does MMO.

i never noticed much improvement in my 01 xj with sea foam run through the tank, BUT the stuff worked wonders on my old beat up 83 suzuki 1.0L motor! that motor had no power to begin with so any improvment was very noticable, i cant say MPG increase but i dumped it into every orfice on that pig and it would run great for a few weeks.

i just bought a BG products intake cleaning kit with the bg 208/210/406
going to run it though the fuel rail and the tank and fog the TB..pretty much the same idea as the sea foam, but will see if i get any results with the jeep this time...kinda like a 25 dollar scratch ticket lol

will let ya know how it compares to the seafoam

i never noticed much improvement in my 01 xj with sea foam run through the tank, BUT the stuff worked wonders on my old beat up 83 suzuki 1.0L motor! that motor had no power to begin with so any improvment was very noticable, i cant say MPG increase but i dumped it into every orfice on that pig and it would run great for a few weeks.

i just bought a BG products intake cleaning kit with the bg 208/210/406
going to run it though the fuel rail and the tank and fog the TB..pretty much the same idea as the sea foam, but will see if i get any results with the jeep this time...kinda like a 25 dollar scratch ticket lol

will let ya know how it compares to the seafoam

Did you get to run the BG through you fuel system yet ?

Back