• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm a bit confused...

1991Jeep_Man

NAXJA Forum User
So I believe the CAD on my '91 XJ is acting up. I have the NP231.

Symptoms have been the front end will buck slightly and make a noticible noise, as the though the shift collar that engages both axles is allowed to drift back and disconnect, then suddenly connect again. The reason I believe this is the case is because I am sure I have a vacuum leak somewhere. While idling or when not under load, my HVAC controls work fine and I control which vent the air flows from. As soon as I press the gas and go under load with the throttle opened more while at a lower equivalant rpm, the HVAC will slowly send all air to the defrost... sign of a vacuum leak. My thinking is that this leak is also affecting the CAD. While idling or not under load, the CAD stays connected via the vacuum motor. Go under load, the vacuum fails, and the CAD disconnects. Let off load, and the CAD reconnects with a jerk.

Also, recently my 4x4 light stopped working. I replaced the light bulb (correctly I think; all my other lights work [CEL, MAINT REQD, BRAKE, etc]). Still no 4x4 part time light. I also noticed with our most recent snow, I had a hard time getting up in my friend's driveway with maybe 3 inches of snow. It was as if the front wheels just didn't want to help out.

SO of course I want to fix this. At first I was just going to lock the ring in place, however I've heard that th disco axle models didn't have the front DS balanced, resulting in vibes at higher speeds. I also have a lot of gunk and crud on the CAD cover. So my most recent idea was to make a direct vacuum link to a switch inside the cabin. Want 4x4? Just pull on a knob, and viola. No 10 ft of vacuum BS to worry about with switches built in the t-case, etc. But I would like to have my 4x4 light back. There is a screwed in sensor in the CAD housing. Is this my 4x4 light indicator switch? I tried unhooking it and bridging the sockets together with some wire. Still no 4x4 light. Idk what the deal here is. Any help would be much appreciated.

The Vac problem would not cause your axle to unload. The CAD is an vac activated on, vac activated off. I would lean more to the shift fork inside is wearing out and not traveling on the shaft correctly. Also that is alot of gunk on the outside. Clean it up and if nessesary replace the "plug" with some rubber fuel line or vac hose. Opening up the CAD box is going to be real easy, four bolts IIRC. Check the fork for any play, there should be virtualy none. You could either replace the fork with a stocker, or upgrade to a stronger cast iron from a dodge (dakota I think).

Just to check... put rig in 4wd while running. Chock rear wheels. Jack up passenger side of front. Check front driveshaft. NO spin, good, your transfer case is indeed in 4wd. Next grab passenger wheel, and try to spin it. If it spins then your CAD is indeed not locked.

As to the switch I never had to deal with it, but IIRC it is a vac operated item, completly aside from the CAD box.

Back