• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard axle pricing. stock.

98REDXJ2

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
how much should i be paying for a stock xj chrysler 8.25?

i may be buying one in near future because my carrier bearing is probably bad and i don't know squat on how to work on internals of axles.

Depends on supply and demand. The self service U-Pull-It here in Minneapolis gets $89 for any axle. The best full service yard in town gets about $150-175 for a Chry 8.25. The rip-off yards lie and tell you they are rare, and want $250-500.

huh? need descriptions when you drop stuff like that on me lol. im just starting to learn the details of Cherokees

early 8.25s were 27 spline shafts, the newer ones are 29 spline.

the 29 spline axles are stronger.

the yards around here charge anywhere between 120-300 if you pull it yourself. 8.25s should be on the lower end of that.

A good used axle in most cases/locations will cost less that parts and labor for a major overhaul. You should get a few local price quotes for your repairs and go from there.

I pay $100-$130 for a complete rearend (any kind) up here. If it has some crummy rims and bald/roller grade tires on it they usually throw them in the deal since I am a frequent customer.

I think my best buy so far was $130 for a 97 F350 dana 60, complete with half the driveshaft, all the steering, brakes, and roller tires.

You have a 29 spline then, unless someone replaced it with a junkyard 27 spline for some reason.

91-95 were 27 spline, most 96s were 27 spline but some very late builds got lucky and were 29 spline, and all 97-01s were 29 spline.

You have a 29 spline then, unless someone replaced it with a junkyard 27 spline for some reason.

91-95 were 27 spline, most 96s were 27 spline but some very late builds got lucky and were 29 spline, and all 97-01s were 29 spline.

so when i go to the junkyard any 97-01 should have the axle i want, correct?

well im going to start looking around for prices this week.

but when i throw in a new used axle, i want/need new leaf springs.

does anyone know of some decently priced leaf springs with about 2 inches of lift?

Correct, just make sure it's not a dana 35, they came in all vehicles with ABS and some random vehicles without.

4.0L/automatic got 3.55 gears (usually)
4.0L/standard got 3.07 gears (almost always)
2.5L/automatic (VERY rare, you probably won't see one) got 4.56 gears, but they stopped using those in the late 80s
2.5L/4speed standard got 3.55 gears
2.5L/5speed standard got 4.10 gears.

Check your gear ratio and the gear ratio on the junkyard axle.

As mentioned, that is not gospel. My 2001 came with a Dana 35. Take a photo of your axle and take it to the yard and confirm visually before you just grab.

As mentioned, that is not gospel. My 2001 came with a Dana 35. Take a photo of your axle and take it to the yard and confirm visually before you just grab.

this. my parents have a 2001 with a 35. the 8.25 will have a flat lip on the bottom.

i just priced an 8.25 with 3.55 gears at LKQ in janesville, WI. they want about 240 for any around 90k miles... (lowest they have) i think im just going to pay about the same price and get new bearings put in..

When dealing with model years, or what came in what, dont read into things. Assuming all 97-01 xj's came with 29 spline 8.25 would fall into this catagory!

Back