• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning/steering Problems

bghurc

NAXJA Forum User
I inherited a 95 xj that has been sitting for 3 years. I got it mostly tuned up and running so I took it for a spin around the block. Everything checked out well, until I turned the wheel. Any time I turn if feels sluggish and wobbly. Left or right, slow or fast, it doesn't matter. the tighter the turn, the worse it gets. When I tried a 3-point turn, I thought the jeep was going to break in half.

I thought it was a bearing or a frozen parking brake, but they looked fine to me when I checked. Tomorrow I plan on doing some greasing, thinking that could be an issue. Any ideas?

Sounds more like a rusted solid u-joint on a front axle.

Sounds more like a rusted solid u-joint on a front axle.

What old_man said or it is in 4WD and driven on pavement. The OP did not say wether or not the XJ had 4WD.

What old_man said or it is in 4WD and driven on pavement. The OP did not say wether or not the XJ had 4WD.

Holy crap! I've never owned a 4wd before, looks like it was in 4wd the whle time, I didn't know it would act like that. Sry for the dumb question guys. Thanks a lot!
:wstupid:

Back