• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep trouble

rsliman

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having an issue with my Cherokee lately. It starts fine, idles fine but intermittently it will shut off. No sputtering, no choking, it just dies. Its very intermittent, happens cold and warm.. sometimes it will last 5 min before shutting off, other times less then a min. If I'm on the road and moving it fires itself right back up, but if stopped I have to turn the ignition and it restarts no problem. I replaced the cps, fuel pump, cap and rotor,checked all the harnesses and grounds. but to no avail. Still have same problem with no change in frequency or condition. No engine codes. 98 XJ 4.0 auto

Any help appreciated

I also have a 98 and I had a similar problem when I bought it used. Sometimes for no reason, it would simply die. It always restarted and threw no codes. For mine, it ended up being the wire for the parking brake light switch. It was disconnected and was periodically rubbing against the trans tunnel and causing a short to ground. I know you said you've checked the harnesses and grounds but that was my first thought when reading your post. I would check again and look for anything disconnected that could be rubbing in any way. How are your battery connections? Clean, tight and free of corrosion?

Also, did you replace your CPS with a dealer part? Many on here have suffered with poor aftermarket replacements. It's worth the extra $20 from the dealer to get one that lasts.

same year same problem a few months ago , after replacing several sensors , and trying all sorts of tricks to no avail , replaced o 2 sensors and presto, no problems since

'00 XJ, been experiencing a very similar problem, but not as frequent. Been going on for almost 3 years now. I have factory spares for everything electrical now. I've even made sure to use die-electric grease in the connectors. No wiring issues as I've been very anal about making sure they are good.

The only sensors I haven't tried have been the O2. Just may do that as well now that it's been brought up.

As the OP, no codes ever thrown.

Back