• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head bolts ????? Nobody has them

krawler09

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 4.0 and was wondering what head bolts to use? The only head bolts I can find are 96 up just needing to know if the 96 up will work before I order any or if I need to get them at a dealer. Not sure if they are a different length. Thanks

ran into the same problem with my 97 TJ 2.5 and when I built my stroker in my XJ. The listings don't always show 2.5/4.0 head bolts for certain years. Rockauto nearly always shows the felpro numbers. I had to order 99 4.0 head bolts for my TJ 2.5 :) ... yep same thread pitch same bolts, just remember to RTV the headbolt nearest the Tstat/#1 intake side head bolt it goes into the water jacket.

Yes the ones for 96 and up will work. I have done a few different heads from renix eras to the late 90's. I have compared them all as there is no listing for the renix ones either. Only difference is that a couple of the bolts will have a little longer top to them which is designed to help align the newer year valve cover gaskets. The bolts do have go go in a certain spot to work with the older years though so they do not hit the valvecover when putting it back on. You can compare both valve cover gaskets at the parts house to find out where they need to be as I can not remember right off hand.

Back