• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toughen up a 242???

jeremy_bullseye

NAXJA Forum User
So my NP242 took a crap on me, who would have thought spending a couple hours under water with NO vent hose attached could fill it with water? Anyway, I have it out of the Jeep, and since I didn't break it so much as I filled it with goo and tore it up I am going to stick with it. My current plan is to rebuild it with whatever it needs new. I already have a SYE in it.

My question is this: Is there anything I can do while I am inside of that case to toughen it up? My Jeep is offroad only and NEVER gets above like 15 mph. All I really care about is 4lo and 2wd. If anyone knows how to beef this thing up I would sure appreciate some input. Oh yeah, I am married now and I am really trying to avoid changing it out and cutting driveshafts, etc. If I wasn't married it would have an Atlas going in, but I no longer have control of my money, lol.

Thanks for your help.

sounds to me like you'd be happy with a 231, why not just swap to that? It's theoretically stronger, and you could maybe work out a swap with someone like me who would appreciate the AWD mode for winter driving. Sadly, I live waaaaaaay too far away from you to make it worthwhile.

Actually, you can swap the internals of a Jeep NP242 with heavier guts, up to the NP242HD used in a Hummer1. MJR out in SoCal has done this.

The 231 and the 242 will hold up just fine to V-8 horsepower. There really isn't much to beef up.

I don't mean to hijack in anyway -- but I also have a question regarding rebuilding a 242.

My 242 currently is currently on the fritz. Sometimes it will engage no problems, sometimes it won't go into "gear". When it does go it, it commonly slips out of drive and I have to wrestle with it to get the jeep moving again.

What would cause this? Would a rebuild worth it, or should I just replace with a 231?

So my NP242 took a crap on me, who would have thought spending a couple hours under water with NO vent hose attached could fill it with water? Anyway, I have it out of the Jeep, and since I didn't break it so much as I filled it with goo and tore it up I am going to stick with it. My current plan is to rebuild it with whatever it needs new. I already have a SYE in it.

My question is this: Is there anything I can do while I am inside of that case to toughen it up? My Jeep is offroad only and NEVER gets above like 15 mph. All I really care about is 4lo and 2wd. If anyone knows how to beef this thing up I would sure appreciate some input. Oh yeah, I am married now and I am really trying to avoid changing it out and cutting driveshafts, etc. If I wasn't married it would have an Atlas going in, but I no longer have control of my money, lol.

Thanks for your help.
A 231 can be had relatively cheap, sell your components to offset the cost. YOu can upgrade to 6-planetary gear from the stock 3. Could also do tera 2-low as well I suppose.

To the OP, just rebuild it stock. It's a good case. And that way you know it's a fresh rebuilt case and not a gamble that comes with a used case

And pike, if adjusting the linkage doesn't fix it, it sounds like you have a stretched chain.

Back