• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp rating of a xj front drive shaft??

ceb0217

NAXJA Forum User
I did search. I am using a xj (or mabe its a grand) front drive shaft in a fj40 that has about 500 hp at the crank. Will it hold up?? has the same size ujoints as my 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevy stuff, so I think it should. it will be used in the front, mostly sand and snow. Im really just wondering about the tube. On a side note Im using a xj steering box on the same rig.:laugh:

If your running any sort of high HP I would have have something with a bit thicker wall! For god sake I did this to a stock rear with probably 80 HP and no locker!
77efcfa6.jpg

um ok but Im not going to be denting it with rocks and then putting power to it. ya I have twisted shafts before but usually after they get dammaged.I am using the jeep shaft cuse its a smaller diametor than the one I have and I can get a stock replacement from work really easy.

It wasn't dented by anything. I was in snow when this happened, rear was pinched between 2 trees. Just thin walled tubing was the weak link.

You asked about the tube, And gave you what i had happen A couple weekends ago, So all I was suggestedcyou look at the option of running something after market that utilizes a thicker tubing, if you are planning on running that kind of HP and torque. But as ecksjay stated, your not gonna pony up the money so what do you have to loose? Carry a spare, and report back when and if you break it!

Last edited:
It wasn't dented by anything. I was in snow when this happened, rear was pinched between 2 trees. Just thin walled tubing was the weak link.
If you really think about how that happened, I would be glad the driveshaft went! Next thing would have been ring gear teeth!!

You stop both tires, something's gotta snap!

If your running any sort of high HP I would have have something with a bit thicker wall! For god sake I did this to a stock rear with probably 80 HP and no locker!

hes asking about front shafts, not the cheesy thin factory rear shaft.

the fronts are stronger.

How much work is done on the rig? I would think there is some money in it if you are putting out 500hp. Why wouldn't you just spend a few hundred to have a shaft built that will hold up? I'm not saying the XJ shaft is week, I'm just saying it is worth the money to know what you are using is up to the task.

Its not so much a function of the HP of the motor, it how much torque you can build: crawl ratio and tires have a lot more to do with it

Its not so much a function of the HP of the motor, it how much torque you can build: crawl ratio and tires have a lot more to do with it

Not knowing any specifics I think it is probably safe to assume the motor probably puts out 2+ times the torque of a 4.0 and probably isn't geared 2 times higher. Also if you build an engine like that for a 4x4 it's probably a good bet you are running big tires.

Do it.

Like you said, if it breaks then upgrade. I'd be willing to bet you won't have an issue.

Plenty of people run them in rear applications where they are seeing 100% of the power. A front will see divided power via the t-case.

its a 76 fj40 with a sbc sm 465 205 case chevy 44 front narrowed ford 9in rear narrowed 4.56 gears and 33/14.50 ssr swampers. I was trying for a part that I could go to a wrecking yard and get really easy.

thanks I think I got my answer.

yup there had to be a reason why it looks like a candy cane. it sure wasnt cuse you hit the throttle and unleashed all 80 hp. I was also hoping to have it use able for this weekend but I dont think thats going to happen so I will be forced to bring my stock xj with bald 215 75 15. and hope it will keep up. mabe I wont be THAT GUY on this trip like I was last trip when I wheeled a k30 oil burner.

on a side note I did do a 4wd launch in the mud with the shaft and it held up:shocked:

You asked about the tube, And gave you what i had happen A couple weekends ago, So all I was suggestedcyou look at the option of running something after market that utilizes a thicker tubing, if you are planning on running that kind of HP and torque. But as ecksjay stated, your not gonna pony up the money so what do you have to loose? Carry a spare, and report back when and if you break it!

Back