• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Under Seat Fire Extinguisher Bracket

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen a lot of extinguishers mounted in the cargo area of XJs, and this is frustrating from a Life Safety standpoint because there is absolutely no way you can access that extinguisher quickly enough to deal with an emergency.

I came up with this solution years back, and since I wanted to add on to the bracket to mount the junction box for my 75WX Cobra CB, it seemed like a good time to post this.

The location was determined by a number of factors:
*Ease of reach
*Not being in the way
*Not being a projectile in the case of an accident.

The location I decided met all of these criteria was just in front of the drivers seat.

The extinguisher I decided to use is a Kidde 3lb B-C extinguisher with was USCG approved. I didn't like the idea that it was white, but you can get the same extinguisher in red. The B-C rating assured me the extinguisher was capable of extinguishing both liquid based and electrical fires.

Here is the bracket I came up with:
picture.php

Cut out and drilled for my extinguisher bracket. I used 1/8" weldable steel from the hardware store.
picture.php

With the Kidde extinguisher bracket mounted on the bracket and mounted under seat with the 2 seat hold down bolts:
picture.php

With the extinguisher installed:
picture.php

I mentioned adapting the bracket to hold the junction box of the 75WX.
Here is the completed plate with an additional plate welded on to hold the junction box.
picture.php

I am 6' so I usually drive with the seat back. However, the extinguisher does clear the seat and does not interfere with seat operation or adjustability.

I use my back seat as additional cargo area and you can see where my extinguisher is:

DSC04006.jpg

I've never been comfortable with the thought of having to go to the back seat, let alone the rear cargo area in case of a fire.

This is a great idea for those of us without cages. Thanks WB!!

Last edited:
Looks like a good upgrade to WB's idea. I might have presented it differently...:cheers:

Looks like a good upgrade to WB's idea. I might have presented it differently...:cheers:
:D Ron has thick skin, I don't think he'll be offended.

All kidding aside, I would definitely ditch the plastic clamp style extinguisher holder for a metal style one.

This thread is saved in my tech file- the link you provided Mike is saved in my parts file, both word docs!

I've had both the plastic and the metal version.

I would never use the plastic version again. Seems way to chinsy.

Great idea on the bracket though.

My extinguisher is mounted between the drivers seat and the door. It fits just fine, is extremely accessable and if you open the door you can't help from seeing it.

Can you guys post up pics on your fire ext?

I want to mount my fire ext between the driver door and seat too.

Im thinking I may mount my D cell maglite on the floor near my spare. Any ideas on that too?

Mike, I like your find!

I agree plastic bracket is not the best, but it is functional... for now ;)

Tom and others with the extinguisher mounted to the side of the seat.
I was open to the idea, but could not get the door to close on my 98' with a 3lb cylinder. Can you post a pix for reference? What size/brand did you use?

I made a bracket exactly the same as this a while ago except mine is covered with carpet and the extinguisher bracket is metal. In September/October I did a 10,000km trip to the Northern tip of Australia with around half of that offroad and several thousand KM's of the worst corrugations I've ever driven on and had no problems with this at all :)

It's a very handy spot for a small extinguisher.

IMG_0808.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I had an extinguisher mounted there in one of my work truck at my old job. One day cruising down the freeway all cramped up I was trying to flex my legs around and kicked it with my heel. Instantly the entire cab was filled with white powder. Too bad there weren't any fires.

I had an extinguisher mounted there in one of my work truck at my old job. One day cruising down the freeway all cramped up I was trying to flex my legs around and kicked it with my heel. Instantly the entire cab was filled with white powder. Too bad there weren't any fires.

You can't fault a mounting location because you as the truck user, failed to make sure the extinguisher was in good order, including the retainer pin. :lecture:

Back