• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Replacement 2x6 what wall thickness

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
So i Went to go Buy my 2x6 For my rocker replacement and i was looking for 3/16 based on my searching ( yes i searched)

but that was not available . They just about talked me into 1/4 or 1/8 (in stock)

But they looked either too thick or too thin respectively. and i dont need wasteful weight (still a D.D.) or to build rails that will bend either (someday it wont be D.D.)

Kind of a bummer if i couldve decided on the spot (indecisive) I would have gotten them done tonight.. now i will probably have to wait untill next weekend ..

Anyway id appreciate some opinions on this should i stick with the 3/16 and call around on mon or go pickup the 1/4 or 1/8 where i know they have it in stock??

I was going to use the jeep kings walkthrough that uses the 1"flat bar and the 2x2" angle to help weld the 2x6 to the sheet

Since we dont have a bender im doing AJ's outer rail kit for the tube step

just get 1/4 and be done with it. ask john D why... mine i 1/4" as well.

obligatory "here is mine!" picture:
297265_205800426141048_100001332774399_474615_4350323_n.jpg

Have you thought about using two 1/8" 2x3's welded side by side to make a 2x6? By having double the amount of vertical walls, it would be at least as strong when it comes to coming down hard on rocks as 1/4" 2x6 but weigh as much or less than 3/16's.

Food for thought :dunno:

I would use solid stock. That way it won't dent.

I would wait till you get your hands on 3/16, 1/4 is way overkill and 1/8 will most likely bend.

I think ill Go with this answer But if i cant get the 3/16 by mon. evening i may do the 1/4

Dang VAhasnoWAVES i suppose john D had 3/16 he mustve hit pretty hard (i see how that could happen dropping off a stone ledge) Id love to see a pic or vid of that scenario or damage
B.T.W. Yours looks awesome, i hope mine go that well

I dont think ill be pushing my rig hard enough to bend the 3/16 though. I want to be able to slide over and grind down rocks but mainly for the ones on trail runs (already have a dented stock rocker). I like rocks on my trails but dont spend any time in big rock piles (or seeking them). And im real easy on the skinny pedal.. (getting old at 30 lol ?)

Hmm Milford that makes sense but i think i wamnt to keep it simple as i can for my welder buddy.

I would do 1/8" wall and save the weight. It's not going to bend unless you're really landing on it HARD. I have 3/16" wall but wish I had 1/8". 1/4" is WAY to heavy. Such pointless weight IMO.

EDIT: Your post makes it sound like 1/8" would be totally fine. My 3/16" have a standoff tube attached to them out of .120 wall DOM that I have bent/crushed two times and I've also bent the entire rocker replacement up twice before I had them properly braced to the frame, the 3/16 wall tube itself has never bent though.

Last edited:
I like 3/16. There is a lot of flat area on the bottom that could easily dent if it's 1/8, but I think it wouldn't bend so much that it would hurt anything. If you wanted to use 1/8" and plate the bottom with another strip of 1/8" plate I think it would work real good.

Here's mine:
DSC03617.jpg

I'd use 1/4. Not that much weight and it is down low.

leave the cooler out and just take a bottled water. 35lbs saved
ifyou have the 3/16 then use it. mine are 1/4 cause i got it for dirt cheap. got enough to do 2 jeeps for like $55.

Back