• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Make winch wiring?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a winch, replaced it's solenoid and went to hook it up to test it to find I'm missing one wire. I can't remember if its a ground or negative right now, but it should be just a simple black wire with a circular connector on each end. So, simple question: where do I buy one or how do I make one? What gauge? Where do I buy ends? How do I attach them?

A little more info would help. Which wire (connection point) on the solenoid are you missing? Ground and negative are (usually) the same reference. How big is the lug you're connecting it to?

Sorry I was unclear, I believe it's wire that goes from the winch itself to the ground. I have the rest of the wires, such as all the ones for the solenoid. It's a decent sized bolt looks like, 10mm or so?

2awg, marine grade (oil and heat resistant) is what i use. Got all my stuff - cable and terminal lugs - at West Marine. If you don't have a boating store near you try a welding shop.

Need to get a properly sized pair of crimps to attach the lugs, got mine off of Amazon, but I use them a lot. Not worth it for one time use I guess.

Back