• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw-4 Problems

Zuul99

NAXJA Forum User
So the transmission on my jeep is acting up. It leaks fluid, so i fill it up. but that is not the problem. the problem occurs when I stop. Sometimes when i am about to accelerate its doesn't move. The engine revs than lurches forward and drives off. the driving feels heavy and not as smooth.
I put fluid in and fixes the problem only for a bit. So is it the leak or a bigger problem.

It's the leak. The fluid pickup is toward the rear. You stop, the pressure drops, the jeep doesn't move. You rev it, it builds enough pressure to move, the fluid sloshes to the rear, and off you go.

Fix the leak, problem solved

make sure the fluid level is correct - it should be within the marks with the jeep up to temp, level, and in either park or neutral, I forget which. It actually does matter.

It could be sucking in air through the leak, as well, which will make it not work quite right. Fix the leak.

If it doesn't go away within a short while when you fix the leak, you have other problems... possible torque converter or fluid pump damage. Fix the leak before you worry about that though.

Straight from the FSM for a transmission fluid level check:

CHECKIN FLUID LEVEL
1. Be sure transmission flyuid is at normal operating temperature. Normal operating temperature is reached after approximately 15 miles (25km) of opreation.
2. Position vehicle on level surface. This is important for an accurate level check.
3. Shift transmission through all gear ranges and back to Park.
4. Apply parking brakes
5. Verify that transmission is in Park.
6. Wipe off dipstick handle to prevent dirt from entering fill tube. Then rempve dipstick and check fluid level and condition.
7. Correct fluid level is to FULL mark on diostick when fluid is at normal operating temperature.
8. If fluid level is low, top off level with Mopar DexronIIE/Mercon. Mopar Mercon II can be used but only if Mercon is not available. Do not overfill transmission. Add only enough fluid to bring level to Full mark.
9. If too much fluid was added, excess amount can be removed with suction gun and appropriate diameter plastic tubing. Tubing only has to be long enough to extend into oil pan.

CHECKING FLUID CONDITION
Inspect the appearance of the fluid during the fluid level check. Fluid color should range from dark red to pink and be free of foreign material or particles. If the fluid is dark brown or black in color ans smells burnt, the fluid has been overheated and must be changed.

So, there you go. The biggies are to have the temp up to normal, set the Heep on a level surface and run it through all of the gears just prior to checking the level. Running the gears ensures that all of the passages and solenoids are filled... And, be sure it is in PARK not NEUTRAL.

I would be very concerned about the overall condition of the transmission. Pull a sample of the fluid prior to the next add and look at it under magnification. In particular, look for metal. Some friction material in the pan is considered normal as the friction plates wear and that material has to go somewhere.

You should never find metal in any fluid in the Heep...

What I always found interesting on my Mercedes was that all of the level checks had a specific temperature (in degrees C, of course). Not only the transmission, but the engine also. None of the check specs were tagged as "normal operating"... Then again, the pan on my 280SEL 4.5 (gas V8) held 8 quarts, so there was a large differential between cold and normal levels. Oil changes took slightly better than 9 quarts as the engine oil cooler and it's lines had to be drained and refilled prior to engine start. 1 Litre capacity on the cooler system...

Thanks. I am glad its just a matter of fixing the leak. I found Rebuild kits for like $400. Do i need that or just a gasket.

Last edited:
well, that depends on where the leak is coming from. Probably just a gasket, but what spot is it leaking from?

Wait. 2wd or 4wd?

If it is 4wd, sounds like a transfer case leak or you are describing it wrong. If it is 2wd... you have a 45 minute, 20 dollar fix ahead of you.

Back