• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing chain cover

QUABOAG

NAXJA Forum User
hello all! need to r&r the harmonic balancer on my 99 4.0l soon....noticed a wobble at idle and it appears to be starting to separate, not surprising for 243k. done my researcing here and think i've got some good ideas for getting the job done. my plan is to just go ahead and pull the timing chain cover and take look at the timing set. anyone with tips and advice for what i might run into, i'd sure appreciate your feedback. sourced an ATP HB, and felpro TC gasket set, have the puller and 5/8-18 3" bolts, 1/2-20 5" bolt for installing the pulley. the bolt holding the original pulley spins off no problem :yelclap:. want to do it myself, and do it right....guess my question really is deciding whether or not the timing set needs to be replaced once i get to it. the jeep is a stock DD.

I Would say do it while your in there... they arent that expensive. Just be carefull not to let any of the small parts escape from the cam spring thingy.

You know you gotta pull the oil pan right? Stupid question, but you listed everything else in explicit detail...

did mine this week already,timing chain, front/rear main seals, oil pan gasket! and not one drop anymore!!do yourself a favor and get--
non cork oil pan gasket
2 cans of brake clean (to spray parts ect down with as it dries quickly)!
tacky gasket in a can!
gasket scraper
main seals f/r! while your in there, plus the front seal is in the timming cover..
a tarp to catch any drippings!
powerwash your under carrAGE..

so i should be prepared to drop the whole oil pan if i remove the TC cover? i noticed in the picture of the felpro TC gasket kit i got from rockauto there is what appears to be a "piece" of oil pan gasket. i was assuming you could just replace that bit if it got balled up during removal of the timing cover, and if not then maybe a squidge of rtv would seal up the pan to the timing cover. dont get me wrong...dont want to do it halfa**ed, just looking for experienced advice. thanks for your responses!

When I have to do the timing cover/oil pan and do both seals at the same time I just pull the motor. Its also a good opertunity to replace the oil filter adapter "O" rings since the bolt is easy to get to.

It beats laying on your back doing the pan and RMS while getting dripped on!

yuo Dont have to drop the pan, just clean the front of your motor around the T cover good, after you pull the cover just stuff some rags where you can see inside the oil pan as you clan the T cover surfaces ect.. youll be fine, but the High Tack Gasket Sealant i mentioned before is amazing stuffand its $6 @ Autozone!

yuo Dont have to drop the pan, just clean the front of your motor around the T cover good, after you pull the cover just stuff some rags where you can see inside the oil pan as you clan the T cover surfaces ect.. youll be fine, but the High Tack Gasket Sealant i mentioned before is amazing stuffand its $6 @ Autozone!

Done that many times on many different engines,...changed timing gears and cover seals without removing the oil pan. On re-assembly, be sure the joint between the timing cover gasket and the oil pan gasket mate properly. Use a good quality sealer in the joint.

OK, thanks for all your advice. got the hb off easily, couldnt get the front main seal pryed out with the TC cover on the engine....so it had to come off. before the TC could be removed, the ac and alt brackets had to come off the engine..yay! all in all it has gone well and my timing set seems fine, <1/2" of play so i get to keep that 80 bucks in my pocket for now. now to my question....when reinstalling the TC cover how critical is it to align the seal to crank snout? i have searched and the most prudent method it seems is to partially seat the HB before tighting down the TC fasteners. anyone got other ideas, aside sourcing the special mopar tool? seems to me there isnt a whole lot the cover could be adjusted anyway considering its configuration and multiple fasteners.

You guys must be way better at this than me I've tried and failed 3 times to get the timing cover to seal on the bottom correctly without dropping the oil pan. I don't even bother anymore just drop the pan and do the rear main while you're at it.

You guys must be way better at this than me I've tried and failed 3 times to get the timing cover to seal on the bottom correctly without dropping the oil pan. I don't even bother anymore just drop the pan and do the rear main while you're at it.

the black oil resistant rtv and super tacky gasket sealer is a big help, give it a go!!

All I use in contact with oil is black rtv. Never had a leak when dropping the pan 9 times so far, I just can't seem to get the little strip gasket that comes with the cover set to seal up. I very much prefer the one piece rubber pan gaskets, I'm of the do it right and do it once mentality though.

Just did mine a month ago, here is my experience...

This is the part for the timing gasket i purchased. Too lazy to read instruction and i cut off the oil pan/timing cover gasket (the grey rubber in the first pic) thinking the black rubber gasket that came with the kit was to replace it....big mistake! I had to remove my oil pan and replace the oil pan gasket :bawl:.

yYMfvl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
tcs45458_top.jpg

Also beware not to over tighten the oil pan/timing cover bolts (x4)....the thread strip easily.

GL.

yeah, the felpro kit it have came with that piece of oil pan gasket. didnt use it tho...used some rtv on the origional pan gasket over and under. interesting how its supposed to be used....i glanced at the gasket set instructions and was pretty sure i had to cut out the old pan gasket to use it and it had spikes on it that were supposed to go somewhere not sure where. i was confused by it and pressed for time today so i just got the cover on today, hopefully tomorrow i can get everything buttoned up and check for leaks, like Grimm and XCM are sure i will doomed to experience!

yeah, the felpro kit it have came with that piece of oil pan gasket. didnt use it tho...used some rtv on the origional pan gasket over and under. interesting how its supposed to be used....i glanced at the gasket set instructions and was pretty sure i had to cut out the old pan gasket to use it and it had spikes on it that were supposed to go somewhere not sure where. i was confused by it and pressed for time today so i just got the cover on today, hopefully tomorrow i can get everything buttoned up and check for leaks, like Grimm and XCM are sure i will doomed to experience!

There some small holes in the timing cover iirc (or is it the oil pan :dunno:) for those little spikes. If properly inserted they will hold the rubber gasketin place until every thing is assembled.

no holes for those spikes on the TC or oil pan gasket on my application, for sure. spent a goodly amount of time cleaning off grease, gasket and sludge from everything, i'd think i'd have noticed. found the tool to seat the front seal and align it with the crank snout on ebay...60 bucks! absolutely ridiculous..might be worth it if i were a auto tech i suppose. i went through the pain of halfway installing the new HB to align the TC before tightening it down, then pulling it off again to get to the last two little bolts. thanks again to naxja and you folks helping out others here! the advice is priceless to tards like me!

i have searched and the most prudent method it seems is to partially seat the HB before tighting down the TC fasteners. anyone got other ideas, aside sourcing the special mopar tool? seems to me there isnt a whole lot the cover could be adjusted anyway considering its configuration and multiple fasteners.

I never could find the Mopar tool J22248 so I used the method you mentioned. Partially installed HB and tightened down TC cover bolts, no leaks so far.

Last edited:
I never could find the Mopar tool J22248 so I used the method you mentioned. Partially installed HB and tightened down TC cover bolts, no leaks so far.
I got the tool off ebay for like $12. Previous to that I used the HB method you mention.

I got the tool off ebay for like $12. Previous to that I used the HB method you mention.

score! looks like a handy tool if you run a fleet of 4 liters. finished my repair yesterday...noticible difference in the way my xj runs down the road. a LOT less vibration and a bit more git up n go. no leak yet too. the HB was probably going out for a while before i noticed it wobbling the other day. had been used to a bit more vibration since i put on brown dog mounts i guess.

Back