• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel sender reads out of tank, but not in?

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Its and 87... last week the guage stopped working and was stuck at 1/4 tank of fuel. I tested the guage and it works fine...goes to full and Empty per the factory service manual. In an effort to avoid having to get one of those airtex senders, I decided to hit the jy for a new sender. Once i got it home, I hooked it all up outside the tank, and moved the float up and down. It worked perfectly so I proceeded to put it back in the tank. Once in, I turned the key on and the guage never moved off "E". I took it out again and turns out it was stuck under the filter. Tested it once more and it worked fine so I put it back in the tank. I had just filled up and had to sifen out about 11 gallons of fuel so I knew roughly what the level was, so once again I turned the key and VIOLA!! It registered the amount that was in the tank. Soooo, I took all 11 gallons and put it back in the tank, went to go and top it off, and as soon as I turned the key the darn guage didnt move...again. I just dont get it!!! Am I just destined to put one of those crappy Airtex sending units in? On the plus side...After two years of procrastination I finally got all my power windows to work :D

Last edited:
Test the sender with an Ohm meter out side of the tank.
If it doesnt have any bad spots then you know its a problem with the electrical.

Back