• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks to the guys here that helped solve my temp issue

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
Thank you to the guys on here that helped me chase down my temp fluctuation issue. Its amazing that something so simple can be such a pain to deal with on the jeep. So if anyone is having swinging temp issues:

People do yourself a favor when you change your tstat, go to the dealer and pony up the $20 and buy one. The dealer tstat looks and feels like a better unit and they seem to make a huge difference in jeeps. I was running a Stant SuperStat and the thing could not keep a consistent temp. It opened late and scared the crap out of me a few times. At warm up sometimes my jeep would climb up to 220 then operate back in the 203 range. It then would swing from 210 down to 194, over and over again.

Yesterday I popped in the dealer stat and the variation is gone. It warms up to 203 and stays there. It also seemed that my heat put out a little better too.

Good job actually taking people's advice, instead of what most people do by just waiting for someone to post that the little XJ gnomes are going to fix the overheating problem over night for free. That OE t-stat is key with the little bleed hole. The only other one I've used that works flawlessly are the Robert Shaw 195* ones.

Thank you to the guys on here that helped me chase down my temp fluctuation issue. Its amazing that something so simple can be such a pain to deal with on the jeep. So if anyone is having swinging temp issues:

People do yourself a favor when you change your tstat, go to the dealer and pony up the $20 and buy one. The dealer tstat looks and feels like a better unit and they seem to make a huge difference in jeeps. I was running a Stant SuperStat and the thing could not keep a consistent temp. It opened late and scared the crap out of me a few times. At warm up sometimes my jeep would climb up to 220 then operate back in the 203 range. It then would swing from 210 down to 194, over and over again.

Yesterday I popped in the dealer stat and the variation is gone. It warms up to 203 and stays there. It also seemed that my heat put out a little better too.

My experience, too. Stant Superstat didn't work properly. Three of them.

Went through two Superstats on my last thermostat change. Both were junk out of the box. Spent three times as much for the dealership stat, no problem since. Guess I could've spent the money up front first and done the job once...

Went through two Superstats on my last thermostat change. Both were junk out of the box. Spent three times as much for the dealership stat, no problem since. Guess I could've spent the money up front first and done the job once...

I feel the same pain. Dealer only on thermostats from here on out.

Honestly guys, this site and Cherokee forum have been invaluable in my learning process. With the help of this site I was able to complete my fist motor swap on an 89 that included using a 94 short block (Mable now belongs to someone else, just too much work to make it into the vehicle I wanted) to fixing annoying little issues that I had when I picked up my 98.

In addition my friend has been on this site for the last year and it has been great to be able to look up issue with 94's etc.

Some of you guys have helped me out with silly questions and complicated issue on my first jeep.

So much experience on here it makes it a real pleasure to work on my jeep! With the knowledge on this site and the help of my friend, I have the confidence to tackle anything my jeep throws at me, and Im starting to customize it into a vehicle built the way I want it.

Now if I could just figure out how not to bust my hands up so people dont look at me like Im from mars Ill be all set:confused1

Last edited:
Back