• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt/Mud getting inside the doors. Is this normal?

Is this a common problem?

33846874233_large.jpg

33846874234_large.jpg

33846874231_large.jpg

33846874232_large.jpg

Yup mine does as well as every XJ I have seen. Not sure what you could do to get around it.

Bummer........ I'm a neat freak, so stuff likes this bugs me, lol. I don't mind getting dirty, but gesh, this is not easy to clean, nor does it come off when you power wash the vehicle. Maybe once I install my rock rails, they will help eliminate some of the dirt/mud getting up into those doors.

Bummer........ I'm a neat freak, so stuff likes this bugs me, lol. I don't mind getting dirty, but gesh, this is not easy to clean, nor does it come off when you power wash the vehicle. Maybe once I install my rock rails, they will help eliminate some of the dirt/mud getting up into those doors.

What I did was just take a hose and lightly squeeze the trigger and "run it" along the door trim. Shoots all that right out.

I just open my door and spray it out. If careful, you only get a slight mist on the door skin and none in the cabin

What I did was just take a hose and lightly squeeze the trigger and "run it" along the door trim. Shoots all that right out.

Thanks...... The trick is to get it clean before it dries. I live in a clay type environment. The locals call it adobe, lol.

If it really drives you crazy you could always run down to lowes or home depot and get some of that rubber door seal tape and stick it to the inside of your door to fill the gap. Thought about it myself but everytime I walk in the store I forget half of what I went there for and end of leaving without it...I must be gettin old lol.

If it really drives you crazy you could always run down to lowes or home depot and get some of that rubber door seal tape and stick it to the inside of your door to fill the gap. Thought about it myself but everytime I walk in the store I forget half of what I went there for and end of leaving without it...I must be gettin old lol.

That’s the first thing I thought of. As a matter of fact, I thought that maybe I was missing the original door seal, but after looking at all my doors, I concluded that they probably didn’t come factory with a seal. My Jeep Liberty and Dodge Ram both have a doors seals. Going to Home Depot and buying door seal tape might be in my near future. I would think it would cut down on road noise as well.

Yes it is normal... if you drive your truck though mud holes. No mud holes, no issue.

You can clearly see the door seal in your photos. The door seal seals the door opening at the cabin. It is clearly doing it's job as there is no material inside on the carpet.

Putting an additional door seal where the door meets the door sill would potentially cover up the door drain holes, and the ability of the door lip to drain water/melted snow from the door jam, thus creating a rust area. How would you seal the front fender to door seam? What about keeping the drip rail moisture out of the door?

No, stay out of mud holes, and if you do decide to play in them, remember to take care to clean out your door drain holes. I use a wet soaped rag to clean those areas to avoid getting water on the carpet.

WB9YZU, the difference is that my Jeep Liberty and Dodge Truck also have a door seal on the door itself, as well as the door seal that you speak of. Unfortunately, my mess is not due to playing in mud holes. That mud is from me driving from my house to work. When we get heavy snow melt or during the monsoon season, our gravel roads sink and turn into a slimly mud/clay mixture. Like I said, I think once I install my rock rails, I think that will make a big difference in how much road debris is able to reach the inside doors.

You have a good point about not covering the drain holes in the doors. I certainly wouldn't want to do that.

, I think once I install my rock rails, I think that will make a big difference in how much road debris is able to reach the inside doors.

Will your rock rails have rubber seals on them?

I live in an area of RED dirt, RED mud. I have come to expect hard to move dirt, harder after it dries. I usually hose the thing down after playing in the woods as soon as I get home...including the method used by kevswens20 uses. If I go to Tahoe or other snowy places the roads have crushed granite on them (instead of salt) and the truck seems to get even dirtier on the highway.

Here at home I'm usually driving on nice clean roads so for me it's only a problem when out playing.

Back