• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Guage freaking out

mine bounces around, and it's definitely the gage or wiring. i just take the average lol
my tach doesnt work occasionally as well. it's also running a little rough when i first start it in the morning. my guess is maybe a ground, but i havent investigated as to which one.

On my LT1 Firebird, I had this happen and it was the wire for the temp sensor introducing itself to the header and getting burned..

As the guys already said, verify wiring and connector going to that coolant temperature sensor; those are primary suspects here if it is an "instantaneous" up and down change on your gauge. This is electrical and what you are seeing on the gauge is not likely real.

So what does the sender in the thermostat housing do? 1999 Update 4.0l. I have been getting occasional fluctuations in speedo & tacho and the temp gauge drops to 40 (degrees Celsius), and the Scangauge plugged into the OBD2 socket follows it.

It will then swing to around 112 deg Celcius and a CEL will come on. Sometimes the engine cuts out, but will restart fairly easily. Get a 118 code which I can clear and the CEL goes out.

Last edited:
On 97+, the PCM drives the gauges, so they use only the single sensor in the tstat housing. On earlier models, the gauge was driven by a separate sender in the back of the head.

I'd inspect and clean the power and ground connections under the hood, and have a look at the CTS connection and wiring. Look for corrosion, loose connections, damaged wires, etc.

I'd also test the CTS. The resistance table for the CTS is posted on here if you search a bit.

Last edited:
Back