• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wing window latch issue

jpdriver1

NAXJA Member @1272
you folks with wing windows have you had to tighten the latch mechanism?
one of mine has got about 1/8 slop in it --- the PO had added a shim on the window frame to tighten it --- would like to do it right.

thanks

Doing it right involves swapping over to fixed wind wing doors, or even better late model doors.

although that solution would solve the problem at hand, it might not be the best. It would be a real pain in the butt to replace the vent window every time he opens it.

I'd drill out the roll pin holding it all together and see which part has worn. Source one from the salvage yard in better condition and replace it.

As far as worn parts, how is the weatherstrip?
You could always add a little more pressure on the main pivot inside the door as a temp fix.

Wind wings, stickshift, and drip rails: until they bring back these basic features, I am not interested in a new vehice.

although that solution would solve the problem at hand, it might not be the best. It would be a real pain in the butt to replace the vent window every time he opens it.

I'd drill out the roll pin holding it all together and see which part has worn. Source one from the salvage yard in better condition and replace it.

I have to agree that opening a fixed wing would get expensive ;)

thanks guys ---

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

It's really simple. The wing window latch is held on to the post by a little roll pin. Take out that roll pin (using a very small punch, or perhaps a nail with a blunted end) and remove the latch handle, making sure not to lose the wavy washer under it. You will then find that the post is hollow, and inside it is a phillips screw. Tighten the screw and put it all back together. It's easier to get the roll pin back in with pliers than with a hammer.

A fixed wind wing is basically not a wind wing at all... I meant swap to non wind wings..

I knew what you meant-- just didn't see how that was going to help the problem

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

It's really simple. The wing window latch is held on to the post by a little roll pin. Take out that roll pin (using a very small punch, or perhaps a nail with a blunted end) and remove the latch handle, making sure not to lose the wavy washer under it. You will then find that the post is hollow, and inside it is a phillips screw. Tighten the screw and put it all back together. It's easier to get the roll pin back in with pliers than with a hammer.

I've had bad luck getting the pins out, but if it'll press out easily, that'd be the simplest way. Maybe I'm just too ham-fisted to get them out on the ones I've played with.

I knew what you meant-- just didn't see how that was going to help the problem

I've had bad luck getting the pins out, but if it'll press out easily, that'd be the simplest way. Maybe I'm just too ham-fisted to get them out on the ones I've played with.
If possible, rather than hammering, you can use something like channellock pliers. Put a little nut on the side you want to push the pin into, and use a short piece of nail or the like on the pushing side, and then push it with the pliers. Once the pin starts out, it's much easier to finish.

If possible, rather than hammering, you can use something like channellock pliers. Put a little nut on the side you want to push the pin into, and use a short piece of nail or the like on the pushing side, and then push it with the pliers. Once the pin starts out, it's much easier to finish.

good idea matthew --- thanks

Back