• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have to remove any parts from drum assembly to install new rear wheel cylinders?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Do the Cylinders install from the rear after the 2 bolts are removed, or do you have to take springs and what not off the front side to access the cylinder? Sorry I never really messed with drums before, just my bleeder broke off on the cylinder...

you can get away with not removing most parts. if you just remove the springs in the middle of each shoe that hold them to the backing plate, you should be able to lean the whole assembly out off the cylinder so you can replace it without tearing the whole thing apart.

You can do what Fidget360 said but if the wheel cylinders were leaking you should put new shoes on anyway.
This. Be sure to clean the moving parts in there as well. And when finished be sure to adjust brakes for optimal brake performance.

u can do what Fidget360 said but if the wheel cylinders were leaking you should put new shoes on anyway.

Nah they are still sealed. the bleeder broke at head and fluid remained in. That video is good, but could be about 3 minutes long, haah. thanks guys I will attempt this here in a few. I don't have those brake drum tools though. I got one spring off but the rear one is fighting me a little...

i50ux2.jpg

Bam! Thanks again guys. Just had to get off the springs to have room to remove the cylinder. On my lunch hour too. haha

Good, you got 'em on. Let me in on a little secret...How did you get the line off without twisting and breaking it? Lately, given the age and rust, I break about 50% of the ones I try to get off. Driving here in Pennsylvania is rough on metal parts!

It broke as well. Lifted my xj, needed longer brake hoses. The front fender line broke as well as the rear both axle side and up top on the Uni side . Had to cut and flare in new line. Pita! 2 weeks later I'm wrapping up my 10 min brake hose job. I'm I'm Florida but the Xj is from CT. Never again will I buy northern vehicle that I plan to mod.... No amount of PB mattered the fitting nuts were siezed to the brake line. As well as the bleeder causing the need for this cylinder replacement.

A couple of possible helps.

You can use a little heat on the bleeder and brake lines. Just be careful as you have a fluid inside.

On the bleeder, stick a drill or drill rod into the bleeder hole to keep it from collapsing when trying to loosen it.

As far as the wheel cylinder, I have used a 12" the kind that you squeeze the handle to tighten it. I reversed the end clamp and then used it as a spreader to expand the shoes so it could be removed.

Bill

Back