• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip yoke location

Jump This

Just another minion!
Any reason we need to keep the drive shaft slip yoke located at the axle side?
With my new drive shafts I'd like to keep the slip yoke a bit further up and out of the way.
BTW these are on the buggy and are not being taken out near their angle limit at full droop.

Re: Slip joint location

Pretty much as above. I think the slip joint isn't further up the shaft to limit the amount of grease stored in the shaft (or squirted out the relief hole).

What kind of problem are you trying to solve?

The slip shaft is the part of the shaft that gets shorter and longer.

A double cardan joint is the funny thing with two universal joints and a centering ball.

He has a transfer case with fixed yokes. The driveshaft has a slip section to accommodate changes in length, but a double cardan joint is not needed.

If your driveshaft guy is willing to build a driveshaft with the slip shaft up at the transfer case instead of at the axle, I see no reason why it won't work.

Only reason I can think of to not do that is that the grease vent will be pointing more upward, which will trap water in there if you go through any.

The slip shaft is the part of the shaft that gets shorter and longer.

A double cardan joint is the funny thing with two universal joints and a centering ball.

He has a transfer case with fixed yokes. The driveshaft has a slip section to accommodate changes in length, but a double cardan joint is not needed.

If your driveshaft guy is willing to build a driveshaft with the slip shaft up at the transfer case instead of at the axle, I see no reason why it won't work.

Since both ends are 1350 yokes I can reverse it without any problem. I was more curious to if there were any real reasons to keep the slip shaft near the axle end.

actually most slip yokes ARE up at the transfercase end. are you sure someone didnt install your driveshaft the other way, not knowing?

actually most slip yokes ARE up at the transfercase end. are you sure someone didnt install your driveshaft the other way, not knowing?

It's Rick what do you expect?

Most stock slip joints in the driveshaft are up top as it keeps more mud/grit out of the slip joint splines, so less chance of the seal getting messed up.

My Dennys shaft on my old dodge had the slip joint at the bottom, because the double cardan was up top. It still worked fine tho.

Back