• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix front brakes

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching but my results sucked. I know everyone is all about the wj swap but finding the parts are a pain. Does anyone know of a bolt On brake kit for a renix era jeep to upgrade the front brakes. I'm running a HP non disco 30. Thanks.

I can't find any wj's in the local yards. And for the price of the parts new plus having to re drill the wj rotors I was just wondering if there are any companies that sell better caliper, pad, and rotor setup that is just a bolt on to the d30 knuckle. Plus some say they have problems fitting wj stuff into 15 inch wheels. My wheels and tires are new so I don't want to just dump em.

The only difference between the 87-89 RENIX brakes and the 90+ is that the knuckle is two piece and the uni-bearing is spaced different and is rebuildable. If you have a non disco hp D-30 then once you upgrade to newer shafts, knuckles and uni-bearings then the Vanco kit should work the same as on a newer model.

Not for renix 90 up mines an 89

I ran into that when trying to find some high performance brake pads for my wife's 88. I could find anything I wanted for my 90 MJ but the earlier models don't seem to have alot to choose from performance-wise. I ended up going with Performance Friction Carbon Metallic on both of them. Did a good break-in procedure. Way better than whatever was on them before.
Then I added ZJ rear discs to her XJ. Way better.

when i changed my disco housing in my 87 to a 93 non disco with all the later pieces. i laid all the brake componets next to each other.beside the rotors and hub bearing and knuckles. the did find the later brake pades to be almost 1/2 inch longer so there might be a slight difference in breaking performance.

Yes sir I did. I couldn't find much for renix and only found Vanco for ho stuff. Does anyone sell wj knuckles or is it a junk yard item only? The caliper and pads aren't too expensive but if I can't find the knuckles than it's useless.

Check the for sale section, it seems like WJ knuckles come up for sale 2x a year or so.
You might also want to put out the word in your local chapter.

Just to clarify, you want to a brake and steering upgrade simultaneously? If so, the WJ is a good setup, but will still require some messing with. ( swaybar brackets and OTA trackbar mount)

Have you upgraded the master/booster yet?
Is your 8.8 in? Did you do the proportioning valve?

The 8.8 is in I haven't done anything. I'm going to use the wj master and booster. Even if I have to buy it new. I figured I would up grade the steering and knuckles as my wallet let's me. I'm going to use the iron rock steering and their double sheer tracbar. I would like to go with wj font brakes as well but I can't find the parts. IRO also sell the wj rotors already done. It seems like the easiest way to go. Will the new steering work with the wj brakes or am I going ass backwards? My jeep is a renix so I know the hubs and knuckles are different than the ho stuff. When doing the wj conversion what hubs do you use? I've read it here and there but I haven't got my hands on any of the parts to see for myself.

as long as the rotors match the unit bearing you're good to go.

I had 87 knuckles on a 97 housing using 87 calipers with 97 unit bearings and rotors for many a year.

I had accidentally bought rotors for a h.o. One time. When I put them in and tightened down my tire they whole front end was locked up. The renix rotors are thinner on the mating surface.

Back