• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 wheel adapters help

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Im picking up a D44 front soon. And its from a F100. It has 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. I need to get spacers/adapter to fit my 5 on 4.5 wheels. Spydertrax dosent make them so I have to buy others. I found these. Whats the difference between the 87mm bore and the 108mm bore?

How do I know which ones to buy? Help guys.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/category_s/187.htm

the center cap hole in the middle of your 5X4.5 inch wheels is not large enough to fit over a external locking hub (ie: old school dana 44s). essentially there is no point in trying to get adapters for your wheels, because they wont be able to work anyways. get 5X5.5 wheels which will have a larger center cap hole

Aw gotcha that makes sence then. Because I have a Xj 44 in the rear, so I should get 5 on 4.5 adapter to 5 on 5.5 and then just get 5 on 5.5 spacers for the front??

As said, you should be bringing the rear 5x4.5 to 5x5.5. And yes, you can get alloy shafts with a dual pattern. I would recommend those. They are more money than adapters, but they are stronger and will give you piece of mind if you're putting larger tires on.

I plan on getting alloy shafts this summer. Im running 35's now and always worry about breaking a shaft, but I wheeled my 27 8.25 hard, so im not to worryed about the 30 spline 44. I will still have to run spacers anyways to match the width of the front axle. But thanks for the input you guys.

I have a set of 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapters that I used for the same set up...they are 1.25" thick and worked well for this application. Let me know if you are interested, I'd let them go for a reasonable price:rof:

Throw some adapters on the rear, and call it good. I doubt youll be able to tell the difference in width from front to rear. My front is 2 inches wider than my rear right now, and ive never noticed it, and nobody has ever commented on it.

Edit:

IF you feel comfortable with a drill press going then drilling the axles to 5X5.5 is not a big deal.

A drill press is not quite the tool you should use to put a bolt pattern in a stock axle shaft that uses lug-centric wheels. If you don't drill that bolt circle concentric with the shaft then you have a wheel that won't run smooth. Or if you don't drill the all the holes on the B.C., you will have a lug that won't seat properly in the counterbore.

Drilling a rotor isn't a problem because its concentricity to the shaft is not critical, the wheel is.

I know people that have redrilled axleshafts with success using a drill press.

There are cheap lug pattern templates you can buy that are made of plastic.

Be aware, the size of the hole needs to be spot on for the knurls to hold the stud.

Not saying it's the route I would go, but many people have done it with success using a drill press.

Back