• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Trussed??

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
so ive gusseted my C's front/back, i took a cardboard templet and out of a piece of 2x4 stock cut out an axle truss for my D30, it begins @ the top of my diff and ends @ my spring perch! im not pulling my seals/axles or anything apart!
Question for those who have welded on there D30s/trussed!
any precautions i should take or preperations?
i am gonna stitch weld it and have a bucket of ICE/WATER w/soaked towel, to keep any area around my seals cool! i believe the diff its self is different metal than the tubes!??
anything you guys have learned and would have done different, words of wisdom is appriciated!

I welded skids, truss, brackets etc. no precautions. So far so good
My little truss is left over 1.5" .250 wall DOM. Wether the axle is stronger now?... Who knows
3e9deb30.jpg

I didn't gusset my C's but did truss it with 2"x3"x3/16" box. The housing was empty and I did preheat the diff housing and let it cool down on its own.

This was two years ago and the truss is holding up fine, cant say the same for the 4.88 ring gear. I sheared two teeth off yanking a tocoma up a trail in reverse over rocks. Yeah i know, not smart but the pos was in the way and I couldn't get turned around easily and several rigs were waiting to through. I wheeled it the rest of the day and made a 20 mile drive home with no issues.

I have a set of "Cryoed" Yukons in it now

My welds look like $hit but they hold up well.

P1020222.jpg

P1020209.jpg

Back