• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Clock Spring 2000 Cherokee

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to replace my broken clock spring in my 2000 Cherokee with tilt column. I plan on disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes prior to starting. Any other precautions that I should observe? Is this job in the realm of do it your self job. I have done most of my own work for the last 40 years or so. Any special steps or caution to take when replacing the air bag and reconnecting the battery?

Thanks,
Bill

Easy job, all you need is some hand tools and a steering wheel puller. Disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and be sure the replacement clock spring is centered.

Could you post back and let me know how long it took you and how straightforward it was? I've needed to do mine for the last year and have kept putting it off, I feel like it's about time to do it...

disconnect battery for 10 min
remove kick plate
remove tilt column cover
unscrew 2 8mm bolts from behing the steering wheel
pull airbag, disconnect the 2 wires
removing steering wheel nut
then use a steering wheel puller

Make sure that the clockspring is centered!!!!!!!!!!!11!

Does anyone know the napa or canadian tire number for it?

they have no idea what it is and can't find it for me... and the dealer wants $350!

It is a super easy job! I did it in 30 minutes in the JY parking lot. Just make sure the battery is unplugged at least 10 minutes before starting (I've seen an airbag launch a 100 lb dummie 50 feet into the air!) and the clock spring is centered.

yup really easy, That and the new one came with a centering tool attached, so it was almost impossible to get it in without it being centered. Just don't use a JY one. The all break eventually and you don't know if the one you're buying from the Junk Yard is a year or 5 minutes from breaking!

Back