• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 external slave bleeder screw

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a bleeder screw or bolt that will work with the AX-15 external slave cylinder?

I got a replacement external slave and it doesn't come with the bleeder screw. The bleeder screw from my old slave cylinder is FUBAR. I called around (including the stealership) and was told that the bleeder screw is not available for purchase separate.

Has anyone found some other bleeder screw/bolt/etc that would work for the AX-15 external slave since you can't buy them anywhere? Or hell, does anyone have a spare external slave w/ a decent bleeder screw and want to sell the screw out of it? I'm running out of options at this point...

The replacements usually have a blind hole. If it didn't come with a bleeder screw it's probably not needed. Check the hole. I bet it's not drilled through.

If the slave came with the plastic retainer that's designed to break off (Centrix does this, I think), then just follow instructions, and it will work. If it did not come with the plastic retainer, connect the slave to the hydraulic system, top it up, and then before installing it in the bell housing, push the slave piston as far in as it will go. Let it go without allowing it to come out too far, and repeat that process a couple of times, and it should bleed itself. The slave piston displaces about as much fluid as the hydraulic line. After it's together, you may have to actuate the pedal a number of times before it settles in, but it should.

If your slave somehow or other does have a drilled-through hole, don't try to match it by name. Nobody knows **** about this stuff. Take the part, or the fubar screw, or both, to a good auto parts store, where they will have a kit of just about every bleeder screw known to man, and they will probably be able to find one that fits. You may have to try a couple of places, because not everyone has everything, and not everyone replenishes the selection often enough. It's a rare one, but not absolutely unique.

As an exmaple of this, I had to try to find adapters for the brake lines on my Chevy pickup, which has oddball threads on the ABS controller. I went to three places. One tried valiantly and failed. One said "whaaaa? Go to Chevy." One said, "oh yea, you need these," and handed me the right ones.

I'm not sure of the exact switch, but the later external master/slave assemblies are pre-filled, bled and serviced as an assembly only, with no bleeder screw. You might have to improvise.

Hmmmm, i know that I was reading the FSM earlier and it said 94+ XJs are non-serviceable and come pre-bled yet they sell the parts independently.

I'll look into it. Thanks. And I'll give the "bleeding by cycling the piston" method a try if the hole isn't drilled through.

I also drilled out the old FUBAR/stripped bleeder screw and I'm seeing if JB welding a set screw in there will hold. If that holds OK I might be able to get by with the old screw. Thanks!

Jeep sells the whole thing as a prefilled unit, but you can get the individual parts (at least the MC and slave, don't know about the line) from auto parts stores that sell Centrix parts. Quality seems OK. I put a Centrix slave into my 99 a few years ago and it's held up all right. That one comes with a plastic retainer that holds the piston fully retracted until it's installed, and then breaks off on the first pedal push, thus insuring that the piston doesn't fall out and become damaged while installing. I forget the exact procedure, but I followed the directions and it bled itself just fine.

By the way, both my 95 and 99 had blind bleeder holes in the OEM slaves. As far as I know they are the same as the ones that had bleeders, so one option if you can't find the correct bleeder is to buy a later slave without one.

Back