• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax 17340 Exhaust question.

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
I got my 17340 from summit friday. I'll be doing the work tomorrow in the garage. I understand in order to use the flange provided to meet the factory cat, i have to purchase ( 2 ) 10x1.5 mm bolts and lock washers.

My quesiton is, do i require a gasket between the flange of the exhaust system, and the flange to my cat or do i just mate steel to steel ?

Thanks

photo-2.jpg

I have never used that flange in four 17340 installs: a 93, 2 96s, and a 97. AFAIK, the cat-muffler connection is factory welded, but maybe some of the earlier ones have a bolted section, in which case you'd weld that flange to the front of the new muffler and bolt it to the stock cat that has the matching flange?
edit: I just checked up on magnflow direct fit cats and it looks like that flange mates to 00-01 cats.
#2: If you don't have the 00-01, cut the pipe as close to the cat-muffler weld as possible, so you have some pipe to slide the new muffler on(esp if you only plan to use the supplied clamps and never weld it).

Last edited:
I actually do have a 2001... The flange should make the install go fairly smoothly... I just still dunno if i need a gasket or not.

Do you have a gasket at that connection now? Do the pipes fit one inside the other, or are the flanges both flat? I don't see a gasket listed anywhere for that connection, FWIW.

That type of flange is a ball/socket type and doesn't need a gasket.

x2. Installed the same exhaust on my 2000 Cherokee with the same flange. No gasket needed.

My friend's 2000 was also welded. The parts list that came with my kit just said "Late 00/01" or something like that. Guessing they figured it was cheaper to run a couple of nuts down than install a full length exhaust, or install the parts and weld it up.

The 2000 and 2001s with the flange most likely have the California emissions package. The welded ones have the federal emissions package with the single cat converter.

The parts catalog groups the components between the head and muffler as before and after 1/20/00, and there are both Fed/Euro and CA emissions parts for both groups.

Back