• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog lights

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 XJ classic and i have the factory fog lights. they havent worked since i bought the jeep because water got inside the housing at some point with the PO. they are completely rotted out and want to get replacements but cant find them. everything i find is for 91-96. they look similar but at $80+ i dont want to order them and have them be the wrong ones. is there a difference between 91-96 and the 98 models?

Keep in mind those Fog lights where not only used on the 97-01 XJs, but also the 96-98 ZJs, and I think a mid ninety's sedan.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what size relay the hella foglights use? I might buy a set of those and just use the factory harness, switch, and relay if the relay is the same size. I believe the factory relay is 20 amps. Does that sound right for the hella ones as well?

I'm running a set of hella FF75's in the stock location and I want to say the relay was a 30A that came in the box. I'm using the kit supplied wiring since my XJ didn't have fog lights originally. Strangely there is no fuse or fuse holder provided in the kit.

If your concerned about the factory relay you could wire the hella harness and relay to use the factory wiring as the control for it. However doing that will make the fogs work like the factory intended and switch off with the high beams. Not saying thats a bad thing but its not the best for night wheeling.

The 97+ XJ foglights have a different mounting bracket than the ZJ lights. I don't believe they were sold on anything but the XJ, or at least the part number is XJ specific..

Any relay will handle a pair of fog lights; a pair of 55W lamps will draw around 8A. The factory wiring doesn't use a relay to power the lights, and I would personally recommend bypassing the factory wiring except for the switch itself.

The ebay lights are aftermarket, not to be confused with OEM. I have one of each, and while the light output is the same, the aftermarket has a problem with collecting water and not venting it. I wouldn't buy another set of factory lights, but would just buy some Hellas as Talyn suggests. JMO.

thats what i was thinking. i dont want to spend that much money for a factory style foglight when the aftermarkets are priced the same if not cheaper. I already have hella 500ff driving lights on my front bumper which has its own power so they dont turn off with the brights. i was just thinking of using the factory fog light harness and connect the hella foglights to them. would that work?

Back