• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to attack completely rusted bumper brackets?

Crashsector

NAXJA Forum User
Afternoon all,

Spent some time working on the Beater Jeep. The PO was a moron and when the rear bumper brackets rusted in half he just screwed the bumper caps to the body with drywall screws. Went about fixing a few things today.

First, let's get rid of that totally rusted hitch!

20120129_144232.jpg

This is what I'm left with:

20120129_150303.jpg

20120129_150313.jpg

I don't think I stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting those bolts out.

Are the nuts welded to the unibody?

Would you grind/cut the heads off or drill them off?

Just trying to figure out the best method. Any help is appreciated.

--Andy

Try PB blaster for a few days.Lets say till next weekend. Then tighten them to break the rust off.Not a lot just 1/8 of a turn in.Then work them back and fourth while you spray with more PB.Don't just try backing them out all at once.In and out worked for me but it does take a lot of time.

But if you don't have the time, just cut the heads off and drill them out.

I think if you're ready for the option of grinding or drilling them out, you should try removing them first. Surprisingly, I've taken off a couple of bumper brackets that looked that bad, and the bolts still came out. They're coarse threads, and sometimes you can get lucky.

I was just about to post this and see that scottmcneal has beaten me to it. Do as he says - wiggle back and forth, a little increase at a time. As soon as there's even the tiniest bit of movement, and the tiniest opening, stop, douse with penetrant again, reverse, and then repeat. If you're patient, you can often get even really nasty bolts out.

If you get no movement, just yank on them, shear them off, and drill. There's little point in cutting, because they'll either turn or break.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to hit it with PB twice a day until next Sunday and then take it to the shop at work and try exactly what you said.

The only thing that may be harder than this is getting the rusted remnants of the hitch off.

--Andy

Look inside the rails, you'll see the bolts going into them.They have nuts on them and are easy to hit with PB also.If it doesn't have a skid plate for the gas tank i would look at cutting them off and then cleaning up the rust and painting those areas

I went through exactly the same thing during last summer.
Do as the others suggested with pb blaster & turning the bolt in & out - we don't have pb over in blighty, so i used wd40 & my propane torch. It worked a treat except i did manage to break 2 bolts in the process.

Just ensure you cover the fuel tank - old heavy rugs are ideal (a near-empty tank is always good)

Remember - it's the vapours that ignite, so use extreme caution if you use a torch

I also popped some hammerite on my 2nd hand replacement brackets

I just did this right after Christmas to install my shackle relocation brackets. I tried removing the bolts but ended up breaking off two of the bolts. After that I took my grinder to them...20 min later all the bolts were off. All I had to do was cut the head of the bolt off and take a sledge and knock the remaining threads through. I just went to Lowes after that and replaced the bolts with grade 8 bolts.

You are forgetting the front hub bolts and ATI damper bolts.

Never had to deal with those... but I really did have to run out and buy a set of 12 point sockets when I put new rod bearings in my ex's VW because I didn't own any. My point was, 12 point sockets for 12 point fasteners only! rusty stuff and 12 points = epic fail (and wailing, gnashing of teeth, and eventual use of a Bolt-Out followed by a trip to the hardware store.)

Got 2 rear bumper brackets sitting on the bench. U want 'em? Free, u pay for shipping

the 8 bolts for the bumper brackets themselves go into spot welded nuts. Not only that, they are spot welded to only the tabs on the end of the frame rail, not the rear crossmember you are now looking at... so trying to pound them out will just bend up the tabs.

Don't ask how I know this. Bad memories.

The ones on the bottoms of the frame rails are nowhere near as bad.

I just did this too. Broke 6 of 8 bolts. I beat the weld nuts out, then used a 2in bolt and a couple heavy washers to squeeze the tabs back down. I used bolts and nuts with fender washers to mount the brackets.

Back