• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT Trails

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like I'm going to end up in MT in early August.

I looked around on Trails.com but couldn't find any trail listings for the Bozeman area.

Suggestions on places or places to find info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

there is a member here that goes to school in MT now....thethinginthewoods....contact him, he should have some info for you. happy trails

MT mike suggested a couple:
Morrison Jeep Trail (5 of 5), and Goose Lake Jeep Road (4 of 5).

Also though my musings through the web, I found the Benbow Jeep Road.

I also found the BLM runs 3 OHV areas, though they do not mention Jeep use, just ATVs and OHMs.

Besides the BLM, which has maps, I can't find links to NFS maps that you don't have to order, or good write-ups, directions on any of the above trails.

Ron, there are a few unmarked but legal trails (according to Forest Ranger) that dead end or connect to another trail in the NF outside Bozeman, up near Hyalite Reservoir. It made for a couple hours and a picnic when i was in the area in 07.

I remember taking Sweetwater road towards Bozeman from Dillon, MT.. but dont remember where it ended. There is also a very nice NF cabin up in the hills past Res. Google Window Rock, it can be found on the NFS website.

I'll take a look at my notes/gaz and see if i can recommend anything else. We did a day trip to Yellowstone from here.

Business or vacation?

Cool! I was really surprised by the NFS not having the MVUM on line, but having to write for a map.

Vacation. I'm planning on hitting the end of COFest, then heading up for a few days. My GF has relatives in Bozeman.

Yeah, i found it tough to gather info back then also.

The Window Rock cabin might make a nice place to stay ($30day) away from the hustle and bustle when your not visiting. You would enter Gallatin NF just down the road from the College.

I'll dig out my notes tonight and see what i may have written in..

Have you gotten in contact with thethinginthewoods? If not, I can shoot him a text. (though, it's news to me he goes to school there)

Ron, sorry it took so long to check my trip notes.

Langor Rd (1046) just past Langor CG coming from Bozeman.. lots of scenic trails to ride around on. Elk camps and other SUV's.. watch the free range cattle.

I have a mention of meeting up at Pallisades Falls.. though i dont remember this. After we went back towards Langor.. but instead took the left just before the CG through the open gate (ok'd by ranger) and got into some creek crossing and mud. Did not explore this much as the other rig with me wasnt locked. Started a fire in the light rain and had lunch.

Mention in my Journal of good lunch and beers at the Cats Paw in Bozeman.

Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

Back