• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 dana 44 from grand wagon help

gird123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just picked up a dana 44 from a jeep grand wagoner and I want to convert to locking hubs and the right bolt pattern to match my 8.25 rear axle. What are the junk yard conversion options? It is 6 lug now. I will need to save up so I'm in the research phase now. If you have any thoughts let me know.

Thank you,

Nate

The early ramchargers do....like 80 or older. But those hubs are always engaged unless you convert them to part time using a milemarker kit (not cheap). Those hubs also have a fairly expensive bearing setup.

Ok so i got a dana 44, a amc 20, and 4 tires with rims for a good price. I know my Chrysler 8.25 is better than the amc 20. The gears are all the same 3.55. I was told it was possible to change the pattern on the 44.

Ok so i got a dana 44, a amc 20, and 4 tires with rims for a good price. I know my Chrysler 8.25 is better than the amc 20. The gears are all the same 3.55. I was told it was possible to change the pattern on the 44.
Some of the aftermarket D44 alloy axles come drilled with a dual pattern (good time to upgrade) so then, you'd have to have your drums (or rotors if you're running discs) drilled to match.......should also be able to redrill the axle flanges but, adapters would be a lot easier.

Isn't the Wagoneer front axle wider?.....the adapters might add the additional width to match the front(?)

Hans

Yes the 44 could be changed to 5x5.5... Look for a waggy rear 44 then sell the 8.25 and amc 20... if you dont want to run adapters.

Edit: 1,000 post!

Same width wheel mount to wheel mount. That is a good idea. I also saw something that the Dodge Durango has the 8.25 with 6 lug. I wonder if i could replace the axles in the rear with the Durango 6 lugs to match the 44.

I have changed a Dakota from 6 lug to 5 lug by swapping the axles out. This was years ago and I do not remember running into any problems. They were both the same spline count and C clip axles.

5 on 4.5 wheels wont fit over a 44 hub. you will have to go with a larger bolt pattern in the rear. id reccomend finding a rear 44 from a waggy. they are pretty easy to come by, usually pretty cheap and the width and bolt pattern is a perfect match to your front 44.

Ok. So I think it will be cheaper to find a different rear axle and run the front as is. so now I will be looking for a rear with 6 on 5.5 and 3.55 gears to match.

Unless someone has a nice dana 30 High Pinion they want to trade.

Or if someone would like to swap a comparable 6 on 5.5 with my stock Chrysler 8.25 rear which is the 5 on 4.5.

Isn't the Wagoneer front axle wider?.....the adapters might add the additional width to match the front(?)

Hans

Wagoneers are narrow like little jeeps while "full size cherokees" are wide trac.
Also, ford Hp d44s are wide trac which is why they narrow them and use waggy shafts. Early broncos are narrow but don't know if their hp or not.

Wagoneers are narrow like little jeeps while "full size cherokees" are wide trac.
Also, ford Hp d44s are wide trac which is why they narrow them and use waggy shafts. Early broncos are narrow but don't know if their hp or not.
Did not know that.
Early Bronco D44s (70 1/2-77) are all low pinion ('76-'77 came with discs) and have the puny 260X u-joints.
Broncos I know ;).... I have had mine since '87

Hans

I have decided to sell them and find a front axle with all the stuff welded on.

I measured and the front is 60.5" and the rear is 58.5" from mounting surface to mounting surface are all wagoneers narrower in the rear?

Back