• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Rear with TracLoc Question

MrKTroop

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running this setup? I cracked the locker in my 8.25 so I decided to go with a D44 upgrade. It was cheap and bolt-in, so I went for it. It has a TracLoc in it, and my question is, will it hold up like a locker? I will eventually spool it, but i'm going to change the gears, carrier, etc. and don't want to buy a spool for the carrier that is in there. It is a trail rig only, so i don't care about street performance. I just don't want to have trouble in the rocks until I spool it.

TracLoc is not a locker... it's the same as a posi-track. Locker or spool give 100% power to both wheels; TracLoc will give more like 70% to one and 30% to the other.
They do hold up well with smaller tires. With larger tires (33 or bigger), the clutches will wear quicker.
Whole lot better than an open diff though...

A funny trick - if you ever find a situation where it won't power one side of the axle, you can pull a few clicks on the e-brake lever to cause it to engage

You can also repack the clutches and friction disk to be more aggressive than stock. Get a tracloc rebuild lit and throw a few extra in and there ya go.

Has anyone ever welded one of these up? I have no problem adding some metal, but I don't know anything about how this setup works. Anything special that has to be done first because of this, or would it be a standard "lincoln lock" setup? Or is this not recommended with a tracloc setup?

IMO, the trac lok is about as good as an open diff, except you can't put a lunchbox locker in it. I take that back, I think I read somewhere that someone (lockrite, aussie, spartan, etc.) makes one that fits the bigger trac lok carrier.

I just bought a 44 with the track loc I guess, the guy said it was a possi. Its out of a 86,/87 XJ with stock 3.54 gears. Can I put 4.56 gears on this carrier? I know the carrier swap point is 3.92 and up but I have read where the tracloc carrier is larger.

I just bought a 44 with the track loc I guess, the guy said it was a possi. Its out of a 86,/87 XJ with stock 3.54 gears. Can I put 4.56 gears on this carrier? I know the carrier swap point is 3.92 and up but I have read where the tracloc carrier is larger.
If you're going to keep the trac lok, at least rebuild the clutch pack while you're in there. That'll at least make the thing do what it's supposed to as best it can. They run about $70 and are supposed to be easy to install. Can't help with the carrier break on that one, sorry.

IMO, the trac lok is about as good as an open diff, except you can't put a lunchbox locker in it. I take that back, I think I read somewhere that someone (lockrite, aussie, spartan, etc.) makes one that fits the bigger trac lok carrier.
I agree....for the most part.

A Trac Lok with a fresh set of clutches and the proper friction additive works ok in muddy/snowy conditions but, if you like rocks and find yourself with a tire off the ground, you'll understand the appeal of a locker ;)

There's a Powertrax No-Slip that'll fit the Trac Lok carrier but, not the ones that came in the XJ D44s.

The XJ D44s' cross shaft is retained by a circlip and the Powertrax will only work on the version that's retained by a roll pin......ask me how I know :(

Hans

I think they sell numerically higher "thick" gears that will work on the numerically lower carrier.

I personally have a trac lock in my 44 and it is useless on anything other than dirt or mud unless you run a 31's or smaller. With this said it wouldn't not suit your needs from the sounds of it.

Back