• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded vs Locker in the rear

dcxj1990

NAXJA Forum User
In all the reality, is it a world of difference with driving locker vs welded

I drive a welded in my DD and yes it is annoying but I have learned to drive differently due to the locker and I am debateing getting a locker or just keeping the setup I have now.

Opinions??

Short of spending $1000 for a ARB then the compressor and other thing needed, or a E-locker. IS IT WORTH IT??

not in the rear, just get a autolocker

a locker is not always locked, it releases during turning. a welded rear end is essentially a spool - and a real spool is very cheap and a much better way to go. I wouldn't want a spooled rear end on a DD you'd be eating through tires like crazy just from normal turning. a locker just makes a bit of a pop pop pop from time to time on sharper turns but still gives you that full locked traction when you need it. it is 100% worth the money especially if your rig sees any street miles at all.

A spool eats tires, an auto locker does not (Detroit, Aussie, LockRight, etc). An auto locker releases when cornering, so no tire scuffing, yet locks when enough power is applied. An auto locker will chirp a little when turning a 90* corner like a right hand turn on normal streets if a little too much power is applied. If you don't care about a little chirp once in a while it's no big deal, if you remember to go easy on the throttle when turning right from a stop it won't chirp.

Get a locker.

I feel that welding the rear (especially if it is not done well) is just too risky. It puts alot of stress on the diff under almost all driving conditions. A spool is good for a trail only vehicle but an auto or selectable locker is the best choice.

I run a spool in the rear right now, sounds like ive got a couple german shepards barking around everytime i make a tight turn. Switching to an autolocker....one day. Theres just too many things id rather spend my money on, cage, hydro assist, etc.

A spool eats tires, an auto locker does not (Detroit, Aussie, LockRight, etc). An auto locker releases when cornering, so no tire scuffing, yet locks when enough power is applied. An auto locker will chirp a little when turning a 90* corner like a right hand turn on normal streets if a little too much power is applied. If you don't care about a little chirp once in a while it's no big deal, if you remember to go easy on the throttle when turning right from a stop it won't chirp.

Get a locker.

x2

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=990281&highlight=mini+spool

Go to to the bottom of the first page. Lots of links on welded, spool and mini spool threads.

I ran a mini spool and loved everything about it except for tire wear.

I daily drive A LOT and the tire wear finally forced me into putting an Aussie in the rear. Nice lunchbox autolocker, saves the tires, but gets pretty hairy on icy off camber trails.

John

Last edited:
another vote for locker, I DD'd a welded rear for a few months and it chewed the crap out of my tires.

I DD a welded 8.8 for about a year. Really wore out my tires. The rig is strictly a trailer queen now, with occasional street time. The front D30 is also welded, I prefer the welded diffs offroad, less stress. Don't have to worry about the locker suddenly engaging and snapping something. I've been running 34" LTBs for about 5 years, have ran all over telico and harlin and have never had any issues out of them and i an not light on the skinny pedal.

I DD my jeep about 50% as i switch on and off throughout the week with my truck. i have a welded 8.8 with no problems. i mean it eats tire (i'm not concerned about it since it comes with the territory) but has never broken. i haven't had it in "long" but it was previously in my friends xj for over a year and BEAT HARD whilst DD all day every day and wheeled. handles fine for me in the rain, snow, etc. but drifting isn't everyones cup of tea haha. i have total confidence in its strength and its awesome on the trail obviously. i would beat it harder everyday but i need to shim my pinion down still. i break 8.8 flanges like its my job if i romp it.... axle wrap and such pinion points up too high under the gun. anyway lincoln locked has worked for me

Over the years I have run lunchbox lockers, spools, and Detroits in the rear. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, but this time around I have an E-Locker in the rear, and it is without a doubt the best option if you can afford it. Sure, you can run any of these methods in the rear and make a tolerable street rig, but the selectable is a night and day difference.

Imagine, it's like for your whole life you only ever got to eat bland flavorless food, and suddenly you were introduced to chocolate. It's like that. Sure, you can survive on flavorless food, but isn't life better with chocolate?

I run spools front and rear but i also have manual hubs on the front, Dana 44 and a 9 inch combo, rotate your tires a little more often to control tire wear and realize MT's wear faster than passenger or light truck tires. I do agree the selectable lockers are best IF you can afford them. The auto lockers I've tried in the past worked pretty well I just like being fully locked and not having the little bit of spin auto lockers need. Just my opinion but the spool has been more predictable than an auto on wet or icy roads too, but when the time and the money allows it I'll probably get a selectable.

Last edited:
Back