• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj sounds like Crap... Help

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have been working on my xj for 2 years now little by little. The engine was rebuilt and only has 800 miles on it. It has sat for a year or better with only just firing it up to charge the battery. Maybe 5 minutes at a time. I have already fixed the header cracks it has a new cat that was put in when the engine was rebuilt and it has a new thrush muffler on it. Well today I started it up and it just idled like hell. Up and down like it wanted to die. It smelled like it was running rich as well. Part of the smell was the new coating on the muffler burning off but I could definitely smell gas. There are no leaks that I could tell. The gas in the tank is only a few months old if that. I did notice that a rat chewed through my vacuum line that runs from the back of the intake to the vacuum canister behind the front bumper. When trying to plug it with my finger it got worse and the idle got lower. Last time I fixed it it got better. The only thing I can think of that is doing this is maybe chewed vacuum lines. Other than that I haven't done anything other than put in new main leads from 5-90 in. Sorry for the long post.

Kill the rats would be my first step.

046.jpg

I never had a problem before. It's been the past few months that this has happened. Rats are gone. I don't know about the cps. When I put the new trans in a few months ago it seemed to work fine. The rough idle and richness are my problems. I'm going to replace ALL of the vacuum lines and see what happens.

Back