• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel sender/pump brands...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
The check valve on my fuel pump is shot, and my sender doesnt read correctly anymore (i tested the gauge and its fine). Im having a heck of a time finding a sending unit by itself to buy, and I will NOT have one of those airtex pumps in my jeep. Ive had to many fail and cant stand the noise they make. I saw the spectra sender and pump together, but have never heard of them before and wondering if anyone has used that brand and how they performed. If all else fails, im considering just getting the airtex sender/pump combo, throwing out the pump, and putting in a new bosch. Unless of course anyone knows a place I can get just the sender...anyone?

Thanks,

Me :)

The Airtex sending unit is as crappy as the pump. If you look at your stock unit you will see a lot of "fingers" where the lever will rub. Those are the different levels that the gauge can see. The more the better resolution. The Airtex has only like 6 or so of those.

I don't know about spectra pumps but I installed a Spectra radiator and it wasn't stellar.

See this recent thread as well: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1077577

Well thats not what i wanted to hear lol. Ok, guess will be taking a trip to the bones yard this weekend to see if I cant find one works and will be decent after a good cleaning. Will just hafta look at the bright side...least I wont hafta drop the tanks to get to them :D.

Thanks again,

Me

Don't use anything from Airtex. The connectors are different from stock so you won't be able to use another pump with the sender. It's junk all around.

I used a Spectra-Premium sender when the one in my Cadillac took a dump. It wasn't quite OEM grade but it was good enough quality and it accepted the OEM pump correctly.

I have an Airtex E7091S (installed by PO) in my 87 xj. Had been noisy for almost a year. Replaced the fuel pump with a Carter P74155 with no issues. Fit the frame of the sender unit and the wiring connectors were not a problem. Very quiet now. I've had great success with both Bosch and Carter fuel pumps.

Yeah stay away from the Airtex, before I knew they were crap (and got broke down out of town) I had to purchase (and install) 3 to get a single one to work. Dealers don't have the OEM anymore, I sure wish they did..honestly I would have payed 5 times the price of the Airtex. To top it off, the sender has recently started to read about 1/4 of a tank off, and its getting noisy.

I had a airtex in my heep that the PO had poorly installed. It was 3 months old when I bought the jeep and 2 months after taking ownership the check valve failed and shortly after that the fuel sending unit failed as well. I bought a carter from NAPA for ~$200 and I haven't had an issues since.

Always just save up, and get the Bosch fuel pump unit. I just installed the Bosch Fuel Pump on the old 1995 XJ, and it was easy. The Bosch is the turbine-pump design, and they are quiet. The install of the Bosch Fuel Pump on the 1995 Cherokee only took 4 hours and a six-pack.

The link you sent says they don't make just a sender for my 1988 XJ. Would mine be different than a 1991 to 1995? I thought they would all be the same.

missed this entirely.

renix and chryco senders are not interchangeable. They are backwards electrically from eachother. It will fit, and work, but your fuel gauge will be jacked.

Back